Thread: Hurricane prep

Default Hurricane prep

On Friday I tied my hive together with ratchet straps in preperation for sandy and came outside this morning to see the stand had started to sink
    Only thing I can figure is that the moles have dug a tunnel under the leg of the hive stand. I think if I hadnt caught it when I did the stand would have tipped over but all the ratchet straps on it would have held it together. So I spent two hours in the rain stuffing cinder blocks under the stand and jacking it back up to level.

Default Re: Hurricane prep

You could drive a metal T-post next to the hive & strap everything to it.

Added extra brick to tops, used bungee cords to strap a couple hives to their stands (ones that are exposed to wind), staked one stand into the ground (in a flood-prone area), added winter sugar bricks (since the weekend looks like our last warm weather for now).

We should have the center of Sandy over us on Tuesday afternoon - already have some rain and wind - although folks East and South of us have it worse. Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjm1017 View Post
    On Friday I tied my hive together with ratchet straps in preperation for sandy and came outside this morning to see the stand had started to sink
    Only thing I can figure is that the moles have dug a tunnel under the leg of the hive stand. I think if I hadnt caught it when I did the stand would have tipped over but all the ratchet straps on it would have held it together. So I spent two hours in the rain stuffing cinder blocks under the stand and jacking it back up to level.
    Not seeing it, your first mistake is having legs under your hive stand.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org