Default Hive with no queen, what to do?

I have two hives. Both have been robbed a few times in the past couple weeks. I finally got that stopped. I inspected both hives today, one is doing awesome, the other is nothing but honey and lots of bees. It is a brood box full of honey, and a super full of honey. No pollen, no brood and no queen. Now this hive looked good two weeks ago, I assume the queen was killed during all the robbing. What should I do? Do I order a new queen? Where do I get one from if so? Everywhere I looked online was sold out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Hive with no queen, what to do?

Combine the two hives. Good for you for having two hives!
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Combine the two hives. Good for you for having two hives!
    Well that sucks (or so it seems). Is there not a way to add a queen to the second hive? It seems two would be better than one, correct?

If I combine them, how would I do so? Thanks and sorry for the beginner questions.

Combining is covered in detail in most beginner bee books. Remember beekeeping is a form of agriculture and you should be mentally prepared for losses. Combining has been covered here on BeeSource many times and a quick search should find lots of discussion.

In a nutshell, get the bees in the queenless hive into 1 brood box (be sure they are queenless and that the queen hasn't merely shutdown brood production) and place the queenless bees on top of the upper box of the queenrite hive, with a sheet of newspaper in between them. Not much to it. Read up on doing splits in the spring to get back to two colonies.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

BOSCO:

Check out www.Beeweaver.com They're apparently selling queens, plus I just ordered packages for Spring.

It looks to me as though Beeweaver is taking orders for 2013, not selling queens for immediate delivery. But it is possible that Beesource member Joseph Clemens has queens available at this time. I suggest sending him a PM and asking.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

You could try moving a frame from your good hive with eggs in it over to the hive without a queen. They will normally take one of these eggs and turn it into a queen. Just make sure the frame you move doesn't have the queen on it.

Are you sure they haven't backfilled for winter prep?

More questions.

How was the attitude/sound of the queenless hive compared to queenright?

How much brood in queenright hive?

Do you still have drones and drone brood?

A lot depends on what the answers are to above questions.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    You could try moving a frame from your good hive with eggs in it over to the hive without a queen. They will normally take one of these eggs and turn it into a queen. Just make sure the frame you move doesn't have the queen on it.
    I don't believe there is enough time for that.......that & lack of drones.......
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Combining is covered in detail in most beginner bee books. Remember beekeeping is a form of agriculture and you should be mentally prepared for losses. Combining has been covered here on BeeSource many times and a quick search should find lots of discussion.

In a nutshell, get the bees in the queenless hive into 1 brood box (be sure they are queenless and that the queen hasn't merely shutdown brood production) and place the queenless bees on top of the upper box of the queenrite hive, with a sheet of newspaper in between them. Not much to it. Read up on doing splits in the spring to get back to two colonies.
    Thanks Andrew. Lots of reading to do!

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Are you sure they haven't backfilled for winter prep?
    How would I know if this were the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    More questions.

How was the attitude/sound of the queenless hive compared to queenright?

How much brood in queenright hive?

Do you still have drones and drone brood?

A lot depends on what the answers are to above questions.
    I have been feeding both hives with top feeders for the past 5 days. The hive that has the queen took about a gallon. The queenless hive took about 3 gallons. Every time I opened the top the bees were "going crazy" with the food. There were thousands trying to get to it.

The queenless hive was a bit louder than the one with the queen.

The queenright hive had 2 to 3 deep frames of brood. This includes the eggs up to the capped brood. There was more than I was expecting, not sure if there should be more or less.

The drone brood, I'm not sure what the difference is. How do you tell the difference from regular or drone brood? I could easily google this (and will) but I'm just not sure right now. I'm not sure if there are drones either, wasn't looking that closely. I assumed there was no queen when I saw that all frames were full of uncapped syrup. Now I realize I need to actually go back and do a more thorough inspection for the queen, which I will do Wed. Its too chilly today and tomorrow in GA.

Thanks for the help guys!