Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Whats the best way to remove bees from a birdhouse?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  whiskeytripping 
#1 ·
I have a bird house that has a swarm in it. I noticed it about 4 days ago. It's about 10' in a tree, but I can get it out fairly easily. My idea is to take a bottom board and cut a hole about the same size and position as the opening in the bird house...Remove the birdhouse from the tree, lay it on its back, attach the bottom board with the hole in it to line up with the one in the birdhouse....Then add a super, frames, and a top. Once the queen has moved into the new frames, I was thinking I would add a queen excluder between the birdhouse and bottom board and eventually remove the birdhouse. Does anyone have an opinion or better idea?

#2 ·
way too much trouble
remove the roof or weakest side of the birdhouse
cut the combs out one by one
attach to frames with string, wire, rubber bands or whatever your creative mind wishes.
leave them alone for two weeks
you can use a top feeder for the two weeks
We actually did it in a bee workshop, videos attached --
http://americasbeekeeper.org/USFBG_Videos.htm

#3 ·
way too much trouble remove the roof or weakest side of the birdhouse cut the combs out one by one attach to frames with string, wire, rubber bands or whatever your creative mind wishes.
leave them alone for two weeks
Exactly how I did it and work out fine...

#5 ·
I suppose to each his own, but, doing a cutout on a birdhouse is far more trouble than simply placing the bird house inside a deep super, and placing another deep super with either comb or foundation on top. Stuff some screen around the birdhouse to discourage them from building in the lower chamber that has the birdhouse in it, and let it set until Spring. When the bees move up, remove the deep with the bees, let them rob out anything left in the birdhouse. Then clean the birdhouse and render the wax.

I'm not sure you can do a cutout this time of year even in Florida, but if you decide to go that route, I would wait until late February or early March. During a good orance blossom honey flow they will expand quickly and repair the damage from the wiring of comb onto frames.

Do whatever you think will work for you, but for me, a cutout on a birdhouse is too disruptive to the bees and their hive.

cchoganjr

#7 · (Edited)
I hope that new beekeepers who watch this video, will not follow his lead and not wear a veil.. NEVER, EVER, work bees without a veil. Other beeking equipment is totally optional, and most often not needed. But not a veil. There is a very thin line between being Macho and being ignorant. It only takes one move and any colony can turn on you, and with no protection for your eyes, ears, nose, and throat, and you are in serious trouble.

It doesn't make you a better beekeeper to work bees with no face protection. It just makes you more susceptible to very serious injury.

After watching the video a second time, I am convinced this is a GREAT example of how NOT to transfer bees from a birdhouse to a hive. He is lucky he did not get seriously injured, by the reckless use of his Skil Saw. He chopped brood in half, scattered bees all over the lawn. New beekeepers, I highly recommend that you do not copy this technique.

cchoganjr

#8 ·
Yes, that guy has more cajones than brains. I've done cutouts, but I don't think that I could have done what he did, and certainly not without gear. If you look at his other vids there is one after the fact where he had to use a drill to open up the back side of the bird house to let them expand. He used a hole saw. Again, no gear.

I'll pull an outer cover off without gear, but if an inner cover is going to come off, I'm wearing a veil.

#10 ·
I use to not wear a veil, until my hive got some honey stored up. Then one day I went out there to do an inspection, and as quick as it took me to crack the hive top loose, I had 3 stings at the same time. One on the tip of the nose, one on the corner of my mouth, and one on the corner of my eye. Needlessly to say, inspection was done for that day. Lol. I had already seen enough from what they were up to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.