Default I extracted - what to do with wet frames before winter?

I have 3 honey supers that I extracted from. I have sat them outside and let bees work them for a week now. It went from 85 yesterday to a high of 55 today. What do I do with the honey supers to store them in my beehouse...?

Thanks
    TonyGotaTruck
    Lake Martin Alabama

Default Re: I extracted - what to do with wet frames before winter?

If you know they're pest free, bag them and store them. Some people use moth crystals, but sealing them away from pests is a must if you have wax moth or SHB (small hive beetle) around. You can also freeze them for a few days then bag them as that will hopefully kill most of the eggs of any pests.

After a week they should be fairly clean of honey. In Maine I just put emptied honey supers in my shed. Where you are I suspect you need to do something to keep the wax moths out of them. I'd check with folks local to you to learn the customary practice.

I have a chest freezer that I freeze everything in for 2 or 3 days, then out to the barn. Stack tightly, moth balls, and cover with a telescoping cover.

Even if you put them some place where their is no chance of wax moth or small hive beetles getting to them chances are very very very high there are already eggs on those frames. Untreated for a week you will have larvae. Freeze them of use wax moth crystals quick. Do not use moth balls!!!

Thanks pine ridge... crystals, not balls. I hate when I do that!

Im not trying to hijack but could yall explain the differance between moth crystals and moth balls Ive never heard of crystals and why not use the balls I was told by a local beek to use balls tied in coffee filters.

One is oil soluble and the other is water soluble. In other words, one will soak into the wax and kill any bees that touch the wax, the other will dissipate if there is any humidity in your air when you open them up and remove them.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek