Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankenstorm

Default Frankenstorm

So we have this huge storm due to arrive Mon-Tues from hurricane Sandy. We have 60mph sustained winds predicted and up to 8 inches of rainfall. I have one hive on the edge of our field. DO I try to build a windbreak of some sort---strawbales? Or do i risk these rolling into my hive and knocking it over. Is it fine to just let it go as is?

Default Re: Frankenstorm

You might want to drive a fencepost on either side of it and tie it down. Or a strap around the whole hive.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Beware of solutions involving 5 gal buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Beware of solutions involving 5 gal buckets.
    What does this mean?!

Stake through the hay bales?

Sorry, that was a reference to an earlier discussion for hurricane preparation. Please disregard.

I just spent the afternoon ratchet strapping all my langs down today. I hope it misses us.

Adam

I drove steel stakes in the front and rear of each hive and tied garden twine tightly over each one. They're also pushed close together all on the same stand and tied that way also. I have twine going both front and back and over the sides of each keeping it both down and on the stand. That's what I've done. I personally wouldn't try to put a wind break up at this point. I'd just try to tie it down someway. A rachet strap over the top of the whole thing would be a help. This way if it does fall over at least it won't come apart and they'll probably be fine unless they float away.

I had one blown over by Irene. It was up against a garage and the wind deflected off the building and knocked it over. Put it back together and it was fine. I think wind breaks are just problematic. The larger the "sail area" the more dangerous it is. In Irene, the largest and strongest trees toppled while the smaller ones with less leaf area faired better. Hives are pretty heavy and propolised well. I'm hoping for the best. Be safe!

Whatever you folks decide to do or not do with your bees just remember that high water is at least as big a danger as is high wind. I have seen hives flooded out that I never even considered to be in danger before.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

As of right now Sandy is 260 miles south/ South East of of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. moving North East at 13 miles per hour. it is expected to make a sharp turn west by tonight.

Now lets say the storm continues to move nothreast for 12 hours. it will be at it's current speed 149 miles further north east. But I will still say it is 260 miles from the coast. it will then turn west? northwest and require 20 hours to reach the coast.

Now nothing is predictable about a hurricane. But there are a few things that can be expected.
    As the storm moves northerly or westerly over land it will only loose strength. It already is a storm that only has 75 mile per hour winds. It is being reported now that it is not the strength of the storm but it's size that is unusual. so more people get wet, so what.

New York has discussed shutting down it's subway? Over 75 mile per hour winds and rain? Really? what kind of weather do you all get in New York?

I did see another comment about concern for storm surge and it being a full moon. Really does the moon being full make any difference in how much it effects the tides? A full moon does not mean the moon got bigger. just more of it is lit up in our direction. It does not have any more gravitational pull on the earth. "Oh My god, why couldn't this storm hit when we can't see the moon? oh the horror".

At one time I heard this is supposed to be some sort of perfect storm thing though with the hurricane meeting a cold front. I can't find much on that though. At any rate you have a pansy storm that is only gong to get the crap kicked out of it for the next 12 hours or so before it makes a move that will kick more of the crap out of it before it really reaches anyone. And the problem is?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I did see another comment about concern for storm surge and it being a full moon. Really does the moon being full make any difference in how much it effects the tides? A full moon does not mean the moon got bigger. just more of it is lit up in our direction. It does not have any more gravitational pull on the earth. "Oh My god, why couldn't this storm hit when we can't see the moon? oh the horror"
    You might check your facts on the relationship between the moon and the tides.

Yes....I suggest Daniel Y does a little reading on: tides, the moon, meteorology, and regional flooding influences before he makes smug pronouncements from Reno, NV.

Now nothing is predictable about a hurricane.
    If only you had stopped here.........
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Buckets, lots of buckets

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    You might check your facts on the relationship between the moon and the tides.
    Okay I did. it does not make since to me that the alignment would be the same when the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth (full moon) as when they are on the same side of the earth (new Moon). It would seem they would oppose each other resulting in a lower tidal effect. Evidently not since this is what I found.
    Spring Tides
    When the moon is full or new, the gravitational pull of the moon and sun are combined. At these times, the high tides are very high and the low tides are very low. This is known as a spring high tide. Spring tides are especially strong tides (they do not have anything to do with the season Spring). They occur when the Earth, the Sun, and the Moon are in a line. The gravitational forces of the Moon and the Sun both contribute to the tides. Spring tides occur during the full moon and the new moon.

At any rate you have a pansy storm
    And you have massive storms in Reno?
    Regards, Barry

New York has discussed shutting down it's subway? Over 75 mile per hour winds and rain? Really? what kind of weather do you all get in New York?
    I bet the people that live in New York feel differently. You may have spoken too soon. Time will tell, but why risk the safety of that many people
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And you have massive storms in Reno?
    Sometimes. but the ones in Kansas woudl put a pucker in your butt. I stand out in them also. I camped in 90 mile per hour sustained winds. we get 90 plus mile per hour winds on a regular basis. rain we don't do so well with. the dessert pretty much sheds any water so even a little rain causes huge flooding. or last storm a few weeks ago had 120 mph gusts, not sustained. We get the same weather that killed the Donner party though. You ever had any truly historical evens due to the weather? The weather results in people having to saw their arms off to survive around here.

By the way this happens to be the Sierra Mountains. Might want to look into how that ranks among wilderness. a 2 hour drive to Sacramento can very well result in you being dead. it happens all the time.

But then we are not talking about here are we? we are talking about the East Coast and the predictions the Media is reporting.

Worst flood in Connecticut in 70 years. Sounds pretty bad doesn't it? unless you look up what the worst flood they have had in 70 years is. it was in 1955. and happens to be the only flood in the past 70 years.

12 inches of rain in New York. Okay we will see. New York will shut down the subway tomorrow morning. Again we will see.

We will have to see more than 350 million dollars in damage over 1400 people injured and over 77 people killed in Conneticut alone for their predictions to be correct. I am just not seeing it from a storm as wide spread and with only 75 mph winds.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-28-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: TG material

I live in St Marys County, Southern most southern Maryland. Potomac River to my West, Patauxent River to my East and Joins the Chesapeake Bay to my South. This time of year, the tides are extreme. "Normal, could be four feet with out wind. Add wind blowing water up the rivers, add storm surge. It is not a pretty scenario. Isabelle, which was 2003 I believe, had a storm surge of 22 feet! That means if you were ten feet above normal water table on shore, you would be 12 feet under water. We had to nail twelve foot 2x4s on the floating pier pilings at the Marina so they would not float away.
    You want to talk about wind and shear bursts? See, there isn't too much in the way of the wind coming across to ocean and then up the Bay and Rivers. Isabelle blew two and three foot diameter oaks over like tooth picks along the western shore of the Bay. Sandy is predicted to turn a little sooner, according to the last model, so I'm looking at something close to hurricane winds. Lots of down trees and no power for possibly days. Not cryin the blues, just sayin, ain't lookin forward to it. No surge will reach my house, but I will not be going anywhere for several days. I got an extra room if anyone would like to see for themselves LOL

Daniel Y hasn't been schooled in "Nor'Easter" lol
    Forget all you've read about hurricanes, cat 1,2,..etc...
    This is a hurricane inside of a nor'easter.
    Up here we fear the nor'easters more than the hurricanes