Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Restore Liquid Armor product for hive tops

20K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  Lauri 
#1 · (Edited)
http://synta.com/deck/

I posted a thread on insulating and sealing hive tops in the beekeeping section. But this is a new product I tried so I am posting it here as well.. Hope you get some info. from it. Here is the link to the other thread:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?275405-Winterizing-Insulating-hive-tops

One last method of sealing hive tops..This one is new to me and the jury is still out on the finish and durability.
Here is the product:

My migratory covers are not very watertight. I needed something different to seal them..paint was just not cutting it. Here is a typical cover I get from Mann Lake.

You can see why this product would appeal to me. It says it fills in cracks, etc etc. So heres the results.
I had to apply at least three coats to fill in this crack. It looks good here wet, but when it dried it shrunk and a third coat was necessary. So much for less labor intensive than other methods:

wet texture almost dissappears when dry.

Here it is when dried. (These were new plywood tops):

I had hoped this product would also seal the exposed edge of the plywood top, but it also took time to work the product into the cracks. It has the consistancy of thin cement. You'd be better off filling the cracks with putty or silicone before painting.

So a third coat will be applied and it should have the texture they promised two coats would provide.
I do like it, if it is really as durable as they say. But Not too sure I would make any more of them. One gallon put two coats on 12 tops. It costs about the same per gallon as paint and is latex which means easy clean up.

For my next batch of telescoping tops, I will go back to my old method of staining or burning, sealing the exposed plywood edge with clear silocone and two coats of spar urethane.
It holds up well in my wet climate and is actually less time consuming than the above product.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller-Compound-HoneyBees-and-Agriculture/256954971040510

See less See more
#7 ·
Trim coil stock (there's probably a more proper name for it) is metal that is sold in 2'x50' rolls that is used by roofers and siders. It is similar to the metal that is commonly used on telescoping covers but heavier. They sell it in any building materials store. White on one side, colored on the other. To bend the edges, I have a brake (metal bender) but good results can be made by clamping between 2 boards or even just pounding it around the corners with a rubber mallet.

#13 ·
Aluminum flashing or coil stock as noted will last forever, at least longer than I'll be around anyway. If the rest of the cover is well painted, no deterioration is likely.

Not as pretty, certainly, but no paint like material is going to last anywhere near as long a sheet aluminum.

Peter

#18 ·
> It's plywood-like product that comes in 4x8 sheets. Very weather resistant and stable.

Advantech is actually more related to OSB (oriented strand board) than to plywood. It is essentially OSB, (flakes of wood pressed together with resin under high pressure and temperatures to form panels) but Advantech is manufactured with more resin than standard OSB. The additional resin makes it more stable in wet conditions than OSB, and possibly plywood.

http://www.advantechperforms.com/product-lineup/

#26 ·
AstroBee... I have been using Advantec for about 4 years. I use it on 3, 4, and 5 frame nucs as well as standard 10 frame hives and square hives (13 frame). I have experimented both ways, paint and no paint. Virtually no warp or separation, however I have heard that some people had not had as good luck as I have.

It will warp if you place one side or one end higher than the other and leave in the sun, but, when used on the top of hives I have not had a problem. It has a 50 year guarantee, but, it hasn't been around for 50 years, so who knows.

Perhaps others can give you their experience with Advantec also. I use it for all my tops, (135-185 hives).

cchoganjr

#28 ·
It has a 50 year guarantee, but, it hasn't been around for 50 years, so who knows.
You are right to be skeptical about Advantech's 50 year warranty.
Exclusions from the Warranty: This warranty does not cover damage, claims, moisture absorption or defects in the product including delamination, warping, cracking or splitting due to: misuse or improper handling, secondary treatments, storage, transport, installation or maintenance; alterations to the structure after the original installation of AdvanTech panels; physical forces such as fire, floods, natural disasters and other acts of God; corrosive elements; damages caused by persons other than HEW; termites or other wood destroying organisms, including mold and mildew; or use of the panels other than as a building subfloor or sheathing.
http://www.huberwood.com/media/documents/pdf/ADVANTECH/AdvanTechFlooringSheathingWarranty309.pdf
Advantech is a fine product, but it is intended to be used as subflooring in a finished structure. It has the ability to withstand rain/snow for a limited time while the building is under construction and the subfloor is exposed to the elements. If you leave it exposed permanently, the warranty is void!

#27 ·
I'm a builder. I tend to old school choices in building materials. When advantec came out here, I was skeptical. It was replacing a product that was terrible (3/4" OSB floor sheathing). I bought a piece and left a chunk of it out in the weather. It has now been out there over 2 years, virtually unchanged.

#29 ·
Rader Sidetrack.. Don't know how long limited time is, but, I have been using it on 135-185 hives for the past four years. We get lots of rain and snow here in Kentucky and I have not had any problems with it.

I am not concerned about the warranty for out of purpose use.

As you can see on the attached photo, this bunch of hives has the Advantec tops with holes for thru the top feeders. These tops have not been painted, most of mine have. I also use Advanted on telescoping covers(when I use them) and one advantage is the Advantec is heavy and you do not need a weight on them.

Table Grass Pasture Furniture Grassland

cchoganjr

#32 ·
Cleo, I think the next time I make up supers I'll try Advantech.
What? no more middle of the night wandering the streets of San Francisco by moonlight for old packing crates? You will lose your friendship with the old Chinese ladies taking aluminum cans out of people's recycling containers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.