Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Restore Liquid Armor product for hive tops

I did a search on this product and found nothing and then I added OSB and wa-la. I also did the product locator (like Lauri did not see it at the big box) and found the Parr and Milwaukie lumbers both carry it just down the street. I was going to get some plywood for the drain pan of my Cider press today at Mr. Plywood. I may change my mind, since I had good luck with the product recommendations of this forum so far.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Cider is acidic stuff, I would be hesitant to use advatech for direct food contact without looking into that first....at least give it a food safe surface coating. It does have a waxy feel when new that rubs off onto your hands......

No matter I came up empty for Advantec at both places. I asked about it and they looked at me like I was nuts. One guy actually was calling the distributor and when he found out I wanted only a couple of pieces rather than a bunch just laughed at me. I would not go back there if he did start to stock it. I read about the wax and epoxy mix and was wondering if polyurethane would adhere.
    I got some nice plywood panel cut offs at Mr. Plywood. Far nicer than I was expecting and got out of there for about $11.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

The Advantech website has a dealer locator feature, here:

http://www.advantechperforms.com/get...t-locator.aspx

There are lots of results for the Portland, Oregon metro area, including ProBuild in Clackamas:

ProBuild- 1 miles
    15877 SE 98th Ave, Clackamas, OR
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Here is another simple top I love.
    Just a frame with twin or triple wall polycarbonate screwed on the top. Not a solar wax melter if you have a fully screened bottom board and an upper entrance/ventilaton. Might just keep the SHB away from congrigating at the top. ( I don't have SHB thank God, but I have heard light coming in from the top can help those that do)
    The poly has an R value by itself and gives some very nice solar gain in the winter months. Or slip in some ridged insualation for a more insulated application.

Silver side of insulation up for a clean look.

I had some scraps of poly I saved from larger projects, but it works so well, I'd have no problem buying a full sheet to cut up for these tops.
    Here is where I buy it:
    http://www.mcconkeyco.com/products/71

Radar, I hit the locator and went to two of the stores before I just quit. I should have let my fingers do the walking first at 12 miles/ gal.

UPDATE: on the Liquid Armor product. After a week of curing, I still was not satisfied with the finished product. When I ran my hand over it, the color and sand would come off a bit onto my hand. A very dull finish..just did not look like it would be a waterproof as I wanted. So I coated it with gloss spar urethane. Nice thing about the raised texture, I could really apply a thick coat of urethane without it running. NOW these tops are done. Nice finish and should last for years..which is the ultimate goal here.
    Here are the tops with just the liquid armor:

Now with the urethane coating:

And in use:

How long do you get with clear Spar? I am in the same area and have just been painting but as a Junior Woodworker I love the look of the grain.

If you have a telescoping cover that keeps some of the rain off the box's, after two years they still look like I just made them. The spray cans don;t do the job. Roll it on as heavy as possible with out runs. Roll it-don't brush it, it's easier. Three coats-heavy on the box joint ends.

The tops that are urethaned are good for about 2 years, then need to be cleaned and another coat is beneficial. The weak point is the end cut on the plywood. If there is any spot that is not solid, fill with clear silicone first, then coat with urethane.

Here you see two year old box's. Some box's are burned lightly with propane torch, some of the center box's are natural with urethane and the top box's were burned longer with a map gas hand held burner.

I like the look of all of them (as I have said many times before). MAP, you spent more on the oxygen and MAP than on the Spar! How do you cut your hand holds? I use the Hogan jig and the skill saw method but I have a good router and would think it would be the proper tool for the job.

I bought the map gas hand held burner for the better quality head and larger flame output, But use propane in it, now that the map gas bottle is out. Although it made quicker work of the burning, it is too expensive for me to keep using. I can refill my propane bottles here at home form a larger tank.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123