Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Restore Liquid Armor product for hive tops

Lauri..If you want a pretty look on your tops, Use Advantec, scorch the wood with a propane torch or blow torch and then finish with a transparent or light color stain. Makes a pretty top. I just paint mine white, but, really does not have to be painted.

cchoganjr

I think Lauri's a pyro the way she torches everything. Hey, that's probably what happened to your Mann Lake smoker!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Good tips on cutting the aluminum sheeting. I can cut it straight, but the edge is sharp. I'll try the score and bend method..
    Thanks again.

Edge is still sharp! Not a problem when it is installed, tight up against wood.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Use Advantec for your tops, and you will not have to paint or cover with metal.

cchoganjr
    I've been curious about Advantec for a while and think I'll test some this next season. I'm making a bunch of 3-frame divided nucs using a deep box and need tops for each compartment. Would Advantec hold up as covers for the individual 3-frame sections? I'm mostly worried about warping. Thanks

AstroBee... I have been using Advantec for about 4 years. I use it on 3, 4, and 5 frame nucs as well as standard 10 frame hives and square hives (13 frame). I have experimented both ways, paint and no paint. Virtually no warp or separation, however I have heard that some people had not had as good luck as I have.

It will warp if you place one side or one end higher than the other and leave in the sun, but, when used on the top of hives I have not had a problem. It has a 50 year guarantee, but, it hasn't been around for 50 years, so who knows.

Perhaps others can give you their experience with Advantec also. I use it for all my tops, (135-185 hives).

cchoganjr

I'm a builder. I tend to old school choices in building materials. When advantec came out here, I was skeptical. It was replacing a product that was terrible (3/4" OSB floor sheathing). I bought a piece and left a chunk of it out in the weather. It has now been out there over 2 years, virtually unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    It has a 50 year guarantee, but, it hasn't been around for 50 years, so who knows.
    You are right to be skeptical about Advantech's 50 year warranty.
    Exclusions from the Warranty: This warranty does not cover damage, claims, moisture absorption or defects in the product including delamination, warping, cracking or splitting due to: misuse or improper handling, secondary treatments, storage, transport, installation or maintenance; alterations to the structure after the original installation of AdvanTech panels; physical forces such as fire, floods, natural disasters and other acts of God; corrosive elements; damages caused by persons other than HEW; termites or other wood destroying organisms, including mold and mildew; or use of the panels other than as a building subfloor or sheathing.
    http://www.huberwood.com/media/docum...arranty309.pdf

Advantech is a fine product, but it is intended to be used as subflooring in a finished structure. It has the ability to withstand rain/snow for a limited time while the building is under construction and the subfloor is exposed to the elements. If you leave it exposed permanently, the warranty is void!
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Rader Sidetrack.. Don't know how long limited time is, but, I have been using it on 135-185 hives for the past four years. We get lots of rain and snow here in Kentucky and I have not had any problems with it.

I am not concerned about the warranty for out of purpose use.

As you can see on the attached photo, this bunch of hives has the Advantec tops with holes for thru the top feeders. These tops have not been painted, most of mine have. I also use Advanted on telescoping covers(when I use them) and one advantage is the Advantec is heavy and you do not need a weight on them.

Thru top feeders.jpg

cchoganjr

Cleo,

I think the next time I make up supers I'll try Advantech. Did you weld up those hive stands? What material are you using?

I really like Advantec. I am attaching a photo of a bunch of hives with telescoping covers using Advantec. Notice the snow.

No, I did not weld the stands. In 1998 Reverand Page had to go into a Nursing Home and I bought all his beekeeping operation. He ran 75-100 hives for about 50 years. He and his sons owned and operated Page Well Drilling. They drilled oil and water wells. When their workers were not busy, they would weld these hive stands using 2 inch steel pipe. He had about 35 of these stands.

I made a few 5 frame Nucs using Advantec, box joints and rabbet for the frame rest. I use Advantec for all the bottom boards in Nucs that I build. It is a little too heavy for bottom boards in 10 frame and square (13 frame) hives.

Stovall Lane Hives.jpg

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Cleo, I think the next time I make up supers I'll try Advantech.
    What? no more middle of the night wandering the streets of San Francisco by moonlight for old packing crates? You will lose your friendship with the old Chinese ladies taking aluminum cans out of people's recycling containers.

I have to admit I can be pretty cheap and scrounge construction sites for 3/4" plywood. I haven't had much luck lately so I think I'll try Avantech. You're probably going to have poor Scut do your scrounging for you now.

The downside of advantec for boxes is that's it's quite heavy. I see that as an advantage with tops, though

cg3....... You are right about it being heavy. I don't think you would want to make supers or hive bodies from it. I have made a few Nucs using it, but I am concerned with the rabbet and the top of the ends and sides, but, especially the thinness of the front and rear rabbet. I am concerned that they may separate in time. I am trying them both painted and unpainted to see how they hold up. If i get a chance I will make a photo of a Nuc made from Advantec.

cchoganjr

Charlie..cg3..Others... Here are a couple of photos of a 5 frame Nuc made from Advantec. Everything is Advantec except the side rails of the bottom board, they are cypress. I have 4 of these out as swarm traps. Two are painted, two are unpainted. Will see what one year does to them, about April 15 2013.

Advantec 5 Frame Nuc.jpg

Advantec Nuc Front.jpg

cchoganjr

On my plywood tops I run a little bead of outdoor window caulking to seal the edges and then paint. I imagine if I did that with Advantech, the tops would last for ever.

My home depot dosen't carry Adventech, but here is a product I have been eyeing for a while. I finally bought one today and it was the easiest top I have ever made. They are about $6.00 each. (Remember I live in a cool climate and can get away with black..prefer it actually. It gets insulation on the underside of the lid anyway.
    Here's the product info:

http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx

here's the assembly:
    Comes in a 2'x2' size

Back side is OSB type backing. That's why I shied away from it, but since I've learned from this thread there are other OSB looking products that perform well, I thought I'd try it. I haven't found any real specs on it, but it is supposed to be for sub floors with moisture problems. I assume it is somewhat moisture resistant.

Heres what I painted the exposed edges and wood frame with. This goes a LONG way and covers well. This is also a new product for me. I am impressed with the texture and coverage. Not sure about the cure time. I don't expose the hives to anything before it is completly cured and has no smell. Usually I give it a week to set and offgas.

Gave it a second coat of the black rubber seal spray. I use 2 1/2" material for my frame so I can stuff a 1" or 1 1/2 foam insulation in it.

If you did not want black just get yourself some Fusion paint for plastic and spray it. It's not a great photo, it has sawdust all over it.

I'll take the scrap from the top and let it soak in a bucket of water overnight. We'll see how it handles that moisture test. I'll also take a heat gun to the plastic to see how it holds up to a hot summertime sunny day. This product is for an interior application-so the plastic top may not be UV resistant-subject to fading or warping. Time will tell.

UPDATE: The wood portion passed the bucket test. After 24 hours of soaking it has no apparent swelling or strength compromising changes. I also used a heat gun on a scrap of the plastic..it withstood a tremendous amount of heat without any changes-I even held a bit near the burn can's hot coals. It never caught fire and slowly melted after some close exposure.
    So the only question now is will it fade or crack after lengthy UV exposure.
    I'm making up ten or so of these and will let you know.

Here's how they look on hives:

Here's how I built the bench if you're interested. My husband helped me put in 6x6 pressure treated in concrete. (Left over from a barn project) After calculating how much 20 hives would weigh in the fall, I built it stout! No sagging for me..level too.

Here's how it looks with hives. Obviously spring time.

The mesh top you see on the bench is some kind of fiberglass product. We cut it on the table saw to fit. It came in 4x8 sheets from a salvage yard.
    Last edited by Lauri; 10-31-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Very nice.

cchoganjr

Just to be clear, while advatech is structurally as OSB sheet good, the bonding process and resins used are radically different (and far superior) to standard OSB....not even close to similar in performance and durability.

I too was very skeptical of the stuff at first...because I knew what OSB was like. I build wooden boats for a living and like solid wood (or sometimes high end marine ply) But my contractor friends convinced me to try it for our house's subfloor. I have scraps from that project over 10 years ago that I have been field testing unprotected in exterior applications since then.....they have held up astoundingly well.
    There is no substitute for true time testing, and it could be the stuff in the house will break down into worthless flakes after 30 years (goodness I hope not!); but for hive tops....no worries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast