Thread: How much brood?

Default How much brood?

First winter for me as a beeky and just done final hive inspection and had a quick question. I have to hive bodies and the top is 85% full of capped honey, the bottom (8 frames) has about f-5 capped frames and i have some small clumps of brood.
    I have been feeding sugar syrup as i started this hive in July and though they are taking it more slowly now I am worried about getting "honey bound", just woundered if any one could reassure me or panic me...lol
    Thanks in advance. I am located in NC, Raleigh area.

Default Re: How much brood?

What are you temps? Sounds like winter prep to me, brood should be slowed by now but I'm not exactly sure of your area. You only need to worry about being honey bound when bees are actively brooding in Spring and Summer.

Thanks JRG, Temps are 65 today but next week we start hitting 38s

Yeah, backfilling is completely normal then, it's their winter stores and they will cluster on it for the next few months and move up to the next box once it's all used up. With both boxes about full of honey I would expect them to do ok but you may want to check on them mid winter. Just keep in mind you can't feed syrup in the winter, a sheet of newspaper on the top bars and pouring sugar on top works in a pinch.