Default Warm weather harvest and inspections

The jest of this is it is nearly impossible to judge a hive from the outside. The hive I thought was a boomer turn out to be just so-so. I suppose there could of been a swarm that I didn't notice but I am thinking not. The second hive that I thought was so-so is my boomer. I am hopeful this one makes it through the winter so I can split in the spring. The third hive that I thought would be a goner is a little better than the first.

At this time of the year the bees have radar for open honey. I have been taking a box at a time fully covered about 200 ft away from where the hives are and in 15 minutes it attracted hundreds of bees and growing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Warm weather harvest and inspections

" Practicing non intervention beekeeping" Feeding is intervention and you should have known 6 to 8 weeks ago which hives were week.
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

How would that make a difference? I wouldn't have fed them. The bees I want to propagate are the ones that can take care of themselves. It isn't like there wasn't enough to forage on.
    Brian Cardinal

You can't propagate dead bees. Keep the week ones alive for mating nucs in the spring. How many queens did you graft and mate this year?
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

I keep hearing that but my plan is to propagate strong smart live bees not intervene and keep the dumb ones alive. Anyhow they are on their own for the winter season. I got the mouse guards on and the 2 in foam insulation on top of the cover. I didn't wrap last year and I am not going to do it this year either.
    Brian Cardinal