Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Air tools and compressor

What would be a great price far a air compressor, I just need it to build frames and boxes so it does need to be large only cheep

Is there such a thing as a staple gun and brad gun all in one.
    What would be the best gun to buy.

What size staples and brads should I get?

Brooklyn

Default Re: Air tools and compressor

I cant remember the exact price, but I got a air compressor and 3 differnt guns from Home Depot for under $200. And that is all you will ever need.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I couldnt find the combo kit but the compresser is $99 and the 3 guns are $129 on there web site. If you go to the store you should be able to find the combo kit for $199. Which is the price for just one gun if purchased seperatly, go figure.
    It comes with a finish nailer, brad nailer, and staple gun. All three is what you need for hive bodies and frames.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

This gun and a light duty compressor is all you need. You can shoot different length staples depending on your task. 3/4" to 1" for frames, 1 1/2" for boxes. (I use Titebond III wood glue along with the staples).

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ridgid-...l#.UIuGjYX80V0
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Bostitch 2-in Brad Nailer and Compressor Air Tool Kit
    Item #: 299318 | Model #: CPACK1850BN

$179.00
    Was: $199.00 (Save 10% thru 10/30/2012)

I have the expensive air nailers and compressors, but i also have some of the cheap ones from harbor freight.

believe it or not the ones that i use all the time are the cheap ones....the expensive guns stay in the case. These cheap guns have never failed $21.95?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-95275.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...8019-8341.html

Don't be afraid to add a manfold and a hose for each gun. That way you don't have to swap out guns and hoses. In frame building I have been using three different guns
    David

One nailer that I really like is a pin nailer for nailing wedge bar in
    David

Compressors and pneumatic tools are popular items at pawn shops, so don't count them out if your good at haggling.

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    I have the expensive air nailers and compressors, but i also have some of the cheap ones from harbor freight.

believe it or not the ones that i use all the time are the cheap ones....the expensive guns stay in the case. These cheap guns have never failed $21.95?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-95275.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...8019-8341.html
    I second this. Haven't had any problem with it yet. Can't hardly buy three hammers for the price of that gun.

I've already run prolly 2000 1 1/2 1/4 crown staples through it and 1000 or so 1" ones. No problems yet. If you hit a knot or it jams. It's easy to flip open the cover and get the binding staple out.

We've already got a big air compressor but if we didn't i'd get their little cheap one too.

Always look at harbor freight before anywhere else. I got a one year warranty on the stapler for 9.99. I bet it'll last several years atleast.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

I bought a Lowes $99 special a few years back. It had a 2 gal, Campbell-Hausfeld compressor (very loud) and a very cheap brad nailer. The nailer lasted about a year. I had just commented to myself that this thing had more than paid for itself when it immediately died. I bought a Hitachi brad nailer on Amazon for about 89 bucks and it is working great in its second or third year. The first compressor died this year and I replaced it with a Husky 8 gallon for about 140 bucks. It is oil filled and runs much quieter, and longer between recharges than the cheap one I had.

The first, cheaper compressor probably helped me build close to a thousand frames, about a hundred hive boxes and all the assorted top and inner covers, as well as screened bottom boards and shims. The new Husky is great and a joy to work with, especially since it is the barn, well away from the wood shop with a 50' air hose running to the shop.

I use 18ga brads.

Wayne

Dont forget craigslist and yard sales, and flea markets for air tools(have them show you that it works before getting out your money). I have picked up some pretty nice compressors at yard sales for under $100. As far as the nailer goes I would check the specs on a crawn stapler to make sure they shoot longer staples. A lot of them will shoot 1/2 to 1 1/4 staples and you will find in the long run that you hardly ever shoot 1/2 inch staples. Go with one that shoots 5/8 through 1-1/2 inch staples and it will do everything you want.I have a couple of brad nailers and I dont use them very much because you can shoot a staple most places a brad will go and you get twice the holding power.

I use harbor frieght stuff. Just make sure your use it with in a few days to make sure everything is working ok. I got my stuff for $100 and for what im doing it works just fine.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Is there such a thing as a staple gun and brad gun all in one.
    I saw one at Sears last week. I already have a brad nailer so I didn't pay much attention to it.

Ted

I also am happy with the Harbor Freight stuff. I would have bought a compressor capable of 150psi if I were to do it again, but that is more for other projects. I also use one of their paint guns to spray my boxes.

I paid the extra $100 to get a hitachi compressor that uses oil in the crank case. If you use a compressor more than just for the occasional jobs I would recommend NOT buying an oil-less compressor. I've only had a ridgid staple gun that shoots from 3/8 to 1 1/2, never had probs, never owned a cheap one so can't comment on that but I use the tools constantly during the summer for a variety of other jobs so I've never gone the cheap route as it's come back to bite me in the past.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

This is an awesome compressor.

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...s?cat=34&pid=2

I've had mine for 20 years and not a bit of problems. I use it in my work (remodeling) so it gets a workout.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by codyjp View Post
    I also am happy with the Harbor Freight stuff. I also use one of their paint guns to spray my boxes.
    codyjp - - - May I ask what paint gun do you use? I have looked but all I find is for automotive paint use.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This is an awesome compressor.

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...s?cat=34&pid=2

I've had mine for 20 years and not a bit of problems. I use it in my work (remodeling) so it gets a workout.
    That's the compressor I bought. I know 2 guys who work in construction that have had one for years and years that have abused it and it keeps chugging. It's quiet, pumps up fast and isn't heavy. Held enough air for me to go to the field and put cleats on 10 boxes and still be above a 90 p.s.i. threshold.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by djdup View Post
    codyjp - - - May I ask what paint gun do you use? I have looked but all I find is for automotive paint use.
    Thanks.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...gun-92841.html

It takes a bit to get it adjusted to spray right but on a hive that really isn't too big of a deal.

I've not used one, but a friend of mine has used their automotive sprayer with great results on his plane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast