Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: To tell or not to tell?

I kept a few hives for almost 8 years (1979-1986) on Dugualla Bay Road, Oak Harbor, WA, they were at the bottom of the hill, just across a drainage ditch, facing South into the seed crops and blueberries being grown in that field. Our Western neighbor had a Christmas tree farm planted on the majority of his property, and our Eastern neighbor was a rental property that changed tenants, regularly.

I hadn't ever even thought of your question, until seeing this thread. As has already been mentioned by other replies to this thread: I do many things on my own property, I have never felt the need to inform my neighbors about them, any more than I would expect them to inform me - actually I'd rather not know.

Sure, if you used a telescope or binoculars, you could clearly see the hives from many different locations. Like I do now, I wore street clothes to work the bees, rarely, if ever, a veil. In the Summer, brambles (wild blackberries) would grow up and partially obscure them from the South and West, otherwise they were unobstructed.

Honey bees are ubiquitous and wild creatures, even when kept in hives by humans. Once the neighbors know you keep some, suddenly every bee they sees belongs to you -- no thanks, I'd rather not take any direct responsibility for honey bees behaviors, even if they come from my hives. Despite that, I do work diligently to maintain my hives with manageable bees, and to work my bees to reduce any possibilities that they would interact in ways to negatively impact my neighbors.

---------------------------
    I was just looking at the old place with Google Earth, and apparently Dugualla Bay Road is now N. Jones Road. I wonder how that happened.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 10-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

It is one thing to tell your neighbors something they can comprehend, like "I'm going to build a tool shed in the backyard" or "I'm going to get some goats". But they cannot comprehend what it means to have a bee colony near their house and they can't comprehend how little it will affect them. I wouldn't say anything.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The bees would be less bothersome than the goats.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

>The bees would be less bothersome than the goats.

Exactly. But with no experience with bees you would never guess that.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a neighbour quite close to my bees. I charge him a fee for the heavenly smell of honey drifting from my hives and an extra couple of Dollars for the polination service!

I heard talking behind me when I was working my first hive. Turns out the neighbor lady's father used to keep bees. She and her brother were at the property line watching me and reminiscing. No problem.
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

Quote Originally Posted by concrete-bees View Post
    Have fun out on the island -- Get to know Mr Neel - he will help you out lots
    I will! I'll be meeting him Weds for the first- during the Whidbey Beekeeper Assoc monthly meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    187 billion feet is plenty of room
    Oh good! I was worried! - LOL, this cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    In that case, 20 feet of your neighbor's house is on your property!
    Laugh - OK, I'll make him move it! ...yup, I had those numbers a little mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I was just looking at the old place with Google Earth, and apparently Dugualla Bay Road is now N. Jones Road. I wonder how that happened.
    That must have been a bit before me - only been over there a couple times. Blueberries and there's the dike road with a pullout for good pictures of Mt Baker and usually there's some blue herons at low tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It is one thing to tell your neighbors something they can comprehend, like ... "I'm going to get some goats". But they cannot comprehend what it means to have a bee colony near their house and they can't comprehend how little it will affect them. I wouldn't say anything.
    Thank you all for your opinions. A lot of good advice and a lot of wisdom. Everyone's comments were very beneficial in helping me decide. I'll make sure I have something so they will fly up, make sure there is plenty of water for them and make sure I take care of them in a way as to not bother the neighbors and so I won't allow the bees to become a nuisance - but I'll keep it to myself for now.

Maybe buy a goat to distract the neighbors from the bees Just kidding.