Default foundation size??

I was reading in the hardware review section about Mannlake Foundations and am now a little confused.

What foundtation size does one need and if you use the 4.9 size in the honey supers in the spring...does that mean they only fill them with honey?

I have Plastiform in the 2 10 frame deeps I was given to start my hive and have one extra to place on top if they fill those up.......doesn't look like they will as the outer 2 or 3 frames on the top box have no wax drawn out on them as of yet.....so just leaving them alone and feeding them for the winter (9a/9b zone).

I was thinking of going to foundationless frames and let them do all the work so as to make it as natural as possible...making it easier to take out the queen cells as people are discussing....thoughts?

I made a few medium 10 frame boxes...so make the empty frames?

One other thought....can I cut the plastiforms I have down to say 1 inch and put those in just to give them a start?

Bobby

Default Re: foundation size??

Now I am reading about "Natural Cell Size"

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm#cellsizes

Does Small Cell = Natural Cell?
    Small cell has been purported to help control Varroa mites.
    Small Cell is 4.9 mm cell size.
    Standard foundation is 5.4 mm cell size.
    What is natural cell size?

Copied that from their site.

Bobby

Yes, that is what I do for my foundationless frames. Just cut the deep plastic foundation into 1" strips and fasten it into the top groove on each frame. I also wax the strips after cutting for "better" acceptance. The bees will take care of it from there.

Roger that....thanks...

I think I will make up some of the foundationless frames and glue/tack in a bevil piece along the top and sides.

That way they will make combs to their specifications...lol

Bobby

AUXCOM natural cell size does not equal small cell, unless they draw it 4.9 or smaller. If they decide to draw 5.2 you cant call that small cell, but it is natural cell.
    Some scientific test have proven that small cell does not stop the varroa mite. But some people are showing different results with small cell beekeeping and useing survivor stock.
    Foundationless beekeeping is pretty easy, as long as you give them some kind of a starter strip to help them get started. All I use is a paint stick no wax. I have never had a bad comb yet. Just make sure that you put the foundationless frames inbetween drawn comb or foundation, to keep them straight. Once they get going they will draw it out nicely and you can pull the frame of previosly drawn comb or foundation (whateever you used to get them going straight) out, and replace it with another foundationless frame.
    If you start with small cell bees all you need is foundationless frames, and they will continue to draw small cells. But if you have large cell bees, you will need to regress them with some small cell foundation (most prefer Mann Lakes PF series). Then you can let them go foundationless from there.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Ahh....appreciate the advice!!