Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    1,390

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Luterra,

    What kind of protective equipment do you use? I wear just the jacket/veil combo and gloves. I have been stung around 15 times this year, once in the stomach, once in the forehead, once on the hand and 12 times on my ankles when I decided to tuck my pants into my socks.........won't do that again!

    The ankles and the stomach had reaction of a mosquito bite and not much pain at all, the fore head had minor pain and some swelling but not enough to swell an eye shut or anything. Seems each time I get stung the reaction is lessening. Last year I got stung 12 times on the hands from one frame of bees and my left hand hurt but not much swelling, my right hand however swelled up so bad I couldn't close it, looked like I had a baseball glove on!

    Hope I never become allergic, but at the same time I don't try to get stung on purpose either!
    Coyote Creek Bees

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    I wear a bee suit/veil and gloves. The suit and veil are mismatched so don't zip together. Of my ~50 stings this year, ~35 have been intentional (grab a bee, hold it against my leg) and ~15 have been unintentional.

    Of the unintentional stings, most were minor pricks through my gloves. One crawled up my pant leg last weekend. One crawled up my shirt sleeve while I was cutting wood nowhere near beehives. The worst one was on my Adam's apple, one that squeezed between my veil and suit collar.

    Mark

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Crenshaw County, Alabama
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    <snip>My recent exposure to about a cup of dry roasted peanuts, caused many horrible symptoms, even shutting down my kidneys for almost two days. But if I ever develop an allergy to seafood, I'm probably going to die soon afterwards.
    I just want to make sure you know that you need to be careful about more things than peanuts...I'm pretty sure you've seen the little warnings in food products that they were processed where peanuts and other nuts were processed. Be on the lookout.

    Seafood...there are seafood allergies and seafood poisoning where the reaction is much similar. The poisoning is from seafood that is not "just right" (maybe laid on the dock to long). Both can kill ya, but the allergy will kill ya every time. My preacher's son had a reaction to seafood but wasn't sure whether the reaction was poisoning or allergy. After he had gotten over it and some time passed he decided he wanted some more seafood. He and his wife when and got a "to go" meal....and went and parked in the Emergency Room parking area and ate it....thankfully a drove home with no problems when they got through eating.

    Watch that peanut allergy, that's as bad or worse than a seafood allergy...read labels!!!!
    Best wishes,
    Ed

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Danville, PA
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Well, I have almost no systemic or local reaction to bee stings. It has been this way as long as I can remember. I wish it were true for other things, too. I once had a severe anaphylactic response to penicillin, and recently developed an almost as severe reaction to the aflatoxin in roasted peanuts. I dearly love peanuts, but it looks like I will never be able to eat them again. My recent exposure to about a cup of dry roasted peanuts, caused many horrible symptoms, even shutting down my kidneys for almost two days. But if I ever develop an allergy to seafood, I'm probably going to die soon afterwards.
    Sometimes those dry roasted peanuts have a lot more ingredients in them than just nuts---could you be reacting to something else, like MSG?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sde-Boqer, Israel
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Hi all,
    After many thoughts and the simple fact that i live 1 hour away from hospital
    and there is no one to replace me treating the hives,
    i decided to quit beekeeping for one or two seasons, till i will finish the
    desensitization process and feel safe to risk myself.

    Thanks allot for the help
    Randi, Israel

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    That sounds like a sensible plan. Sorry you have to be without bees for a while!

    Quote Originally Posted by rand View Post
    Hi all,
    After many thoughts and the simple fact that i live 1 hour away from hospital
    and there is no one to replace me treating the hives,
    i decided to quit beekeeping for one or two seasons, till i will finish the
    desensitization process and feel safe to risk myself.

    Thanks allot for the help
    Randi, Israel

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    875

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    These quick treatments helped bring quick relief: Always carry some liquid ammonia and some vinegar also. Place a drop of ammonia on the sting after removing the stinger if applies. This will neutralize the acid venom in the sting area. You'll have to attend to the stings immediately after the sting so the acid has limited travel. Vinegar has the same effect except it is only used on anything other than honey bee stings, Wasps, Hornets, Etc.

    Once I got stung in the back of the head and broke out in hives, which was a 3 hour trip to the emergency room and some drugs. It's all about the location of the sting. If it is near a blood vessel, then it spreads fast.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,790

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    I like the benadryl concept except I wouldn't make the car ride home....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads