Results 1 to 20 of 28

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sde-Boqer, Israel
    Posts
    196

    Default Alergic reaction?

    Hi all,

    Im a beekeeper for 3 years and got stung from time to time (Maybe 2-4 stings per month).

    Today i checked my 26 hives and in the middle of the work i got stung in my leg.
    I didnt stop working of course but after 20 minutes i became little bit weak, my eyes was wet, i had runny nose,
    feeling also my throat like infected (dry and hard swallow) and my eyelashes got swelled

    I was afraid that this is the start for an alergic reaction and drove home immediatly
    because i forgot my Epipen injector there.

    After 3 hours i still have these symptoms except of runny nose and wet eyes.
    I will go to the Doc next week but would like to ask if anybody had a similar
    situation ?


    Thanks,
    Randi, Israel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Any time there are symptoms away from the location of the sting (like you describe), it is an allergic reaction. In my experience I had more of a full-body flush and itching than respiratory symptoms, but everyone's experience is a bit different.

    Probably best to get tested for bee allergy and go through desensitization shots if you indeed allergic. Allergic reactions are unpredictable - one time you might have mild symptoms and the next time you could stop breathing.

    Mark

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    I have a confirmed allergy, but my symptoms always include respiratory problems, swelling of throat and lips, light headedness, dropping blood pressure, high heart beat, hives and itching all over. Not fun at all. Sounds like you are having a mild allergic reaction. I agree with Luterra, get tested and start desensitization. I am hoping to start my desensitization treatments in a few weeks.

    Ted

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Forest grove, Ore USA
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    That's a systemic reaction and should not be taken lightly. Carry your epi pen all the time and do look into desensitization. I started my desensitization series today.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    2,762

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    I have an allergic reaction as well. Mine is more of the area swelling, turning red and hot.
    My doc advised me to drink a half of a bottle of benydryl. After the adverse effects (doped up) first dose, I cut that in half! lol
    Works well for me now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Posts
    200

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Careful with the Epi pen.
    Epi pens are for full blown anaphylaxis, primarily to keep your blood pressure up.
    If you're not having a SEVERE reaction, it could be the wrong thing to use.
    You could actually overspeed your heart.

    Mr Beeman does what I do.
    I always have a bottle of liquid Benadryl in my carryall, and at home, and at the cottage.
    It is absorbed quickly, does the job, and is much cheaper.

    Go see your doctor, and talk about the Epi pen, and the Benadryl.
    Ask when you should use each; what the threshhold is for using the Epi pen.
    Knowledge is power; you don't want to be dead wrong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sde-Boqer, Israel
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    thanks alot for the care and the useful information. I am on my way to check if i am allergic and i pray that its just a mistake because i looove this hobby.
    thanks again,
    randi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Randi, being allergic doesn't mean you have to give it up. You have to be a lot more careful. I am still very active and plan to double my hive count next year if at all possible. I am looking forward to desensitization so I don't have to worry so much about the bees.

    Ted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenixville, PA
    Posts
    579

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    I got stung 4 times so far. During the second time, I got instant headache and lasted a day. Usually, the area swells and during the second day it pains a lot with heavy swelling. Nearly on 3rd or 4th day, system gets back to normal. Are there benefits to bee sting? I get a feeling that I am headache free now, but not sure!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    5,408

    Default Re: Alergic reaction?

    Well, I have almost no systemic or local reaction to bee stings. It has been this way as long as I can remember. I wish it were true for other things, too. I once had a severe anaphylactic response to penicillin, and recently developed an almost as severe reaction to the aflatoxin in roasted peanuts. I dearly love peanuts, but it looks like I will never be able to eat them again. My recent exposure to about a cup of dry roasted peanuts, caused many horrible symptoms, even shutting down my kidneys for almost two days. But if I ever develop an allergy to seafood, I'm probably going to die soon afterwards.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads