Default 2:1 sugar syrup-preventing fermentation

I am scorring big time on sugar syrup from American Refining in Charlotte,NC. They sell 2:1 (67% solids) for $7.00/5 gallon bucket if you provide the bucket. I am 4 hours from there but I have someone coming my way that lives there & is getting me 25 gallons. When I mix my own 2:1 syrup I boil the water before adding the sugar and I dissolve 20 grams of vitamin C plus I put in 3/4 tablespoon of household bleach. Even with this I can smell some odor of fermentation if it isn't used within about a week. Is there anything I can do to keep this syrup from fermenting short of refrigeration?I am planning on filling com by& putting the comb directly in the hive. I am pressed for time &would like to wait a week prior to filling the drawn comb. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Howard

Default Re: 2:1 sugar syrup-preventing fermentation

I add Pro health (HBH) into all my syrup and it never ferments. I have made invert syrup without HBH and it sat for a year and did not ferment. Had to make 300 gal this fall.

Check the bleach %
    Some bleach is 3.0% and the stronger ones are 6.0%
    Good luck.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

When I mix up sugar water, I add a teaspoon or 2 of Pro-Health (MannLake) and a teaspoon of lemon juice to each gallon (helps drop the PH to about 5). Been doing this for a year and a half and hardly any mold, mildue or fermenation. The instructions are to add 4 teaspoons per gallon, but I only use it to get the bees to eat more. I believe that during the dought this summer that the oils caused more robbing; so I went back to just sugar water.

I have several jars of DIY HBH. I made it a few years ago and froze it. I thaw it as needed but I too found it increases robbing which has been at an all time worst this year so I am not using it. I can understand the attraction. It smells so good I imagine it is irresistible to
    the bees.
    I know they make the syrup with boiled water so I will add 3/4 tablespoon of 5% bleach to 5gallons and it should be good. Forgot to add that putting plastic film on top of the syrup in the bucket is supposed to help keep spores that are iinbetween the top of the bucket &the syrup is also supposed to help
    Thanks
    Howard

EBay aré the risks of adding bleach to syrup fed to bees?
    I reas residual chlorine is gone after a few hours and so it should be safe.
    Effective Dosage of 3% bleach?

Bees will avoid most water sources to drink out of a chlorinated swimming pool! Bleach is just not that toxic to bees if at all. You can put a glug out of the gallon jug in your bucket and it stops fermentation until it dissipates. So if the syrup is taken in a reasonable amount of time it preserves it.

If it does smell off, the bees are not affected by fermentation either so a little is not a problem.

I purchased a tote of 70:30 (sugar-to-water) syrup last year and after a short time it seemed like it was starting to ferment. So I bought Pro-Health from Mann Lake and it's still good today (bought the syrup last April I think).

Not sure if the bees like it more or less after I added the Pro-Health but they sure like it.

Howard,
    I googled American Refinery in Charlotte with no results. Do you know where in Charlotte it's located? Phone #?
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

American Sugar Refining, Charlotte:

http://companies.findthecompany.com/...n-Charlotte-NC
    They appear to be owned by Domino Sugar.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

I add Honey Bee Healthy to my 1:1 syrup. It keeps for months.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    American Sugar Refining, Charlotte:

http://companies.findthecompany.com/...n-Charlotte-NC
    They appear to be owned by Domino Sugar.
    Thanks
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

Has anyone recently purchased syrup from these people? I may be looking to get some soon and I want to make sure I can do so.
    Thanks

In winemaking, we use matabisulfates and potassium sorbate to kill yeast/stop fermentation. Has anyone ever considered using those for their syrup?
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees