Default Cinnamon in Swarm Trap as Ant Deterrent

Has anyone used cinnamon in swarm traps? Did you catch less bees the same or more?

I had a few traps with ants, not many so I want to make sure it will not prevent any swarms from choosing my box.

Default Re: Cinnamon in Swarm Trap as Ant Deterrent

Cinnamon and potential bee residences is not a good combination. Cinnamon is quite strong as far as odor thus the bees (which have very good sniffers) will not stay long. I can only use cinnamon for a limited time before the bees fly the coop. I learned the hard way on an established hive. Two weeks with a cinnamon treatment and they were gone.

If you don't have honey or dead brood you should not have ant problems. Use dry black comb. I extract my dead hives and have the bees dry them, they then make excellent swarm traps other than the potential of what ever killed them being contagious.

Comb headed for the melting pile is the best for swarm traps.

That's the problem, comb renewal is often stymied by the passion for swarm trapping.

Thanks for the replies, I won’t be using cinnamon after reading Mr Beeman post.

I have plenty of black comb for next year’s traps. Last year I was very limited, and used burr comb in allot of traps. I set up 30 some traps and caught 12 swarms. I am happy with my results. 3 or 4 had ants (one had eggs too) I shook them out on the ground and moved the trap to a different branch, and they did not move back in. Also hornets in a few. I don't think you can do anything about them.