Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Reversing in Fall??

Always like to read your post Walt but it is my belief that bees in the north have developed different habits than bees in warmer zones. I am not sure why your bees are reluctant to cross over from one frame to another for raising brood but my bees could give a rats a-- about that. Maybe because they fill in the gap and it is one big comb to them. It has got me beat.
    I like to be definitive but you can only do that for about a 5 mile radius. At least that is what it looks like to me.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Ace,
    Get your interbar space right, and you'll get very little comb there.
    Walt

Should vertical spacing then be 3/8 inch? In order to get this precise, the deep supers need to be 9 1/2 inches deep when dry. Think they are cut 9 5/8 and depending how much moisture there is in the wood, they will dry to somewhat less than 9 5/8.

Just measured a purchased deep and fully dry it is 9 5/8. This leaves a problematic 1/2 inch vertical spacing and unwanted comb.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    Ace,
    Get your interbar space right, and you'll get very little comb there.
    Walt
    I purchased all my frames from Betterbee and initially the boxes. I have copied the interior dimensions of the boxes and built my own. What more can I do? I am of the impression that nothing is exact when it comes to bee equipment.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I have copied the interior dimensions of the boxes and built my own.
    Lets see, you have a little too much space vertically between frames in boxes you built, and you want 3/8" (bee space) instead.

I am a very experienced carpenter / engineer so I know structure and I know ....
    OK, keeping that in mind ...

What more can I do?
    How about applying some of that engineering talent and trimming the boxes to the size you want? But then I'm not an engineer, so apparently I'm missing some of the subtle nuances of the situation.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    How about applying some of that engineering talent and trimming the boxes to the size you want? But then I'm not an engineer, so apparently I'm missing some of the subtle nuances of the situation.
    So you want me to shim and trim each and every box to maintain 3/8 inch space between frames to make up any difference between frames? The next season if these frames get mixed up you have to do it all over again? As an engineer I strive for consistency and interchangability so I copied the dimensions of a manufactured box. Now I can uses any box anywhere I want. You can do as you like.
    If you are practicing non intervention beekeeping the bees will build burr comb between the upper and lower frames. I am sure of it. I don't care what the spacing is. They will first use the comb as you gave it to them and then when that is full they will do as they please. I don't try to tell them what to do.
    Brian Cardinal

So you want me to shim and trim each and every box to maintain 3/8 inch space between frames to make up any difference between frames?
    I don't want you to do anything out of your comfort zone.

In post #24 you asked "What more could you could do?" Apparently you aren't interested in doing anything except complaining about the situation.

As an engineer, why didn't you evaluate the situation with the purchased boxes before you used them as a model to build more?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You are assuming I didn't. There is nothing wrong with the boxes, either the ones I bought or the ones I made.
    Brian Cardinal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12