Hybrid View

Default Indoor wintering in northern climates on a commercial scale

I read about indoor wintering on a commercial scale in "The Hive and the Honey Bee". According to the book, this is a common practice in Canada. Does anyone here have any experience with large scale indoor wintering? I currently migrate my hives to the south for the winter, but this is getting more expensive each year. It seems to me that a building to winter in would "pay for itself" in just a few years in transportation costs savings alone. Being in central Wisconsin, the concept seems to have merit. I realize most going south are also sending their bees to California for almonds. I'm looking to winter the bees here in Wisconsin, and forgo going to California. The idea of getting sprayed in California, like others I know, or spreading pests and diseases to my hives outweigh the dollars. We are a growing business looking to grow to the 1000 hive mark. Outdoor wintering, and the annual mortality rates associated with it are not acceptable to me. Thanks for any input you may have.

Wisnewbee

Default Re: Indoor wintering in northern climates on a commercial scale

Here's a start:
    http://www.capabees.com/main/files/pdf/winteringpdf.pdf

I would take a trip to Canada and visit some of the larger beekeepers who winter inside. I do believe that some have begun to winter outside to reduce costs.

I would wonder how you could go for that long without a cleansing flight. I'm in Iowa and having a warm day or two in January or February is helpful. I cant see putting them inside from November through March.

Wisnewbee: This topic has been discussed several times on beesource, a search should give you a fair amount of info. I don't know if survival rates are much different indoors than outdoors. I do think you can winter smaller hives indoors with greater survival rates.

sweetacres: I'm moving my bees indoors this week and next and typically they will only be moved out during the second week of April. They do fine without a cleansing flight but sure seem anxious to take one by April.

Moved my first 50 in tonight! Another 850 to go, ah.
    If things go well, should take a few days.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I've got 450 done. Half done.
    Hoping the last ones won't end up being frozen to the ground with the cold nights they are predicting.

Our are wrapped and ready for another winter outdoors.