Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1st year honey harvest total for the class of 2012 newbees. Results?

I am curious how all of you other year 2012 first year newbees did at beekeeping this year. I am in Wisconsin and we had really high temps.(90's-100's at times) and very little rain(a drought). I have 2 hives. In total, 1 hive produced about 30 pounds and the other hive produced 220 pounds. I can't figure out how the one hive produced so much and the other, in comparison, produced much less. In addition to learning a lot, having a ton of fun, and getting honey for me and to sell, was stopping for a minute and looking at 250 pounds of honey in buckets and just being in awwww of what hard work from my wonderful bees produced. I have to admit, I felt a bit guilty taking their honey. juzzerbee

Default Re: 1st year honey harvest total for the class of 2012 newbees. Results?

Congratulations on your harvest. I started with 2 Nucs in June and did a cut out in August. I did not not have any surplus honey to harvest this year due to starting out will all new equipment and new foundations and the bees needing to build up comb...I have learned a lot from them this year. I'm hoping to get a harvest next year...

Default Re: 1st year honey harvest total for the class of 2012 newbees. Results?

this is my first year, bought 2 NUCS in July and accidently captured a swarm in July. The NUCS filled their upper deeps with honey, should be good for the winter. The swarm filled the upper deep and a super and started a second. So I got one super of surplus honey, filled in Septemeber from the Goldenrod field the hives were in. Sitting and watching the 3 hives since i got them, the swarm hive was amazing. Out earlier in the morning, much more bees, and out much later in the evening. I asked my mentor why the NUCS were so sluggish compared to the swarm hive, he said the swarm hive bees knew what they were doing, experianced, where the NUC bees were still learning. Made sense to me.

That's a busy little swarm Bwar77. I started with a captured swarm in mid april and got one medium super of honey. About 30 pounds worth. Now to survive winter.

I started with two swarms in April and one in May. I also got a package in May. I did a cutout in late August. I did a split from one of the swarm hives in June that did OK until I moved them to a new hive, then they got robbed to death. I harvested about 50 pounds from the three swarms. There was a good spring flow here, but a dearth in the summer, which is why the split failed. The fall flow has been adequate. I have left most of the honey for the bees for overwintering. I have been feeding the cutout and hope they have enough stores for winter.

Ted

Cool! It is neat to hear what other people have done their first year. It's really cool to learn not only about bees in my area but also how things are done in differently in other states and countries!

Here is probably a question to laugh at me for, but I going to ask anyway. Those of you in year round warm climates, such as: California, Texas, Florida, etc., does your honey harvest season ever end. Does it slow down? Or does it just keep going all year? Here in Wisconsin, our season is done for Winter and it is time to seal the hives up until Spring. juzzerbee

Wow, that's a lot of honey! I have two hives, each produced about 30 pounds.

I started with 2 hives and they both died. Bought 2 more packages and things went better. I split one hive, so was up to 3. I only planned to take one super of honey and when I went to retrieve it, 4 of the 10 frames had brood in the super, so I only extracted 6 frames. Out of the 6 frames, I extracted 12 lbs of honey. It has been a great experience and I hope to get to 10 hives next year.

50 lbs this year. Most came from a nuc and the rest from a hive I icked up last october.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    Those of you in year round warm climates, such as: California, Texas, Florida, etc., does your honey harvest season ever end. Does it slow down? Or does it just keep going all year?...
    Juzzerbee
    I just completed my first year of beekeeping in southern California, city environment. To my taste, we have no seasons, but true Californians insist that there are some seasons... I think, my bees do exactly the same as my roses - they bloom, than decided to rest a little bit - than bloom again. The cycle is 2-3 months. I think bees do the same - more active for while, than rest a little bit... than again... I collect honey every 1 or 2 months. Every time it is between 4 and 5 kilos of honey from one beehive. My another beehive did not produce any honey for me so far, but doing very well in all other ways, very active! Since something is blooming any time, it is difficult to figure out what kind of honey we have NOW? So far, I figured out eucalyptus in February and pepper-tree in August. I guess, ivy is on its way - very light honey. Good luck, everybody with wintering your bees! Sergey
    Last edited by cerezha; 10-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

I should have harvested 40 lbs or more but waited to long. Got distracted by making two 5 frame nucs and lost the honey to the bees. By the time I went to pull the super off the bees had moved it down into the hive and mixed it with sugar honey.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I am under the impression that first year honey should be left for the bees to overwinter, no? I was given estimates of them needing up to 100lbs just to overwinter.

I have 2 - 10 frame deep boxes and a medium on each hive. I am also putting candy boards on top of that. I don't think the 12 lbs. of honey that I took is going to matter with the feeding I did this fall. For a while they were storing 3 gallons per week.

No mentor here so no good estimates on how much they will need for our long, cold, windy winter. With that in mind I left them everything. We'll see if there's anything left to harvest in the spring. I wanted them to have the best chance they could. Single digits and 4-5 inches of new snow overnight. Brrrrrrrrrr.

I was lucky and picked up a donated hive (2 - 10 frame deeps) from 250 miles south of me. It was a little stressfull for them and I set the hive down a little off creating a small triangular opening in the back...lol
    Just let them bee for a few weeks and then smoked them and too a look and adjusted the boxes to close up the rear entrance. There was comb drawn on only the middle 3 or 4 foundations (plastiform) on the top box...didn't look in the lower box.

So I have left them alone for a month and now going to do a proper inspection....will see.

Been feeding them H-B-H for the last month till they get acclimated.
    the seem to have found their food sources and I see large groups of them heading off in different directions to Rain trees and fruit trees (Loquat and grapefruit) and the local goldenrod.

Bobby

#1: 4-frame nuc installed April 17. Filled upper deep and one super with honey. Harvested ~35 lbs of honey from super. Still had to feed to maintain winter stores during Aug-Oct. drought-dearth.
    #2: 3 lb ackage installed May 6. Chimneyed up into super so harvested ~15 lbs, but fed probably 70 lbs of syrup after removing super to get sufficient stores in the brood chambers.
    #3: 4-frame swarm caught May 9. Filled upper deep but no more. Aggressive temperament. Too many bees going into winter, had to feed to maintain stores.
    #4: 2-frame swarm caught May 13. Succumbed to European Foulbrood.
    #5: 4-frame nuc installed May 19. Filled upper deep but no more. Only hive that properly reduced population during the dearth to conserve stores. Still offered feed but may not have been essential.
    #6: Tiny swarm (less than one frame) caught ~June 21. Filled one deep thanks to constant feeding during dearth. Looks good going into winter.

So...~50 lbs of honey harvested, ~200 lbs of sugar fed. Hoping those numbers are reversed next year.

Mark

I got 8 pints. So somehwere around 12 lbs.?
    I have one hive started from a nuc.

I notice the honey is thicker but lighter in color than the clover honey we get from costco. It is not as strong tasting as clover honey either. I am calling it wildflower honey.

Here's to next year!
    Last edited by rwilly; 10-27-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added info

We started with 8 swarms the end of March, of the 8 swarms 3 were very strong, 4 were ok, and 1 was very weak. All the hives started with 9 frames with foundation and 1 frame of pulled comb. Throughout the season we were able to get up to 10 hives but ended the season with 7 hives; all hives have a brood box plus a deep super to go into the winter.

We were able to collect rent from the bees twice. The first was June 9th and collected 10.5 gallons. The second harvest was Sept. 15 and collected 13 gallons

So the total is 23.5 gallons which is roughly 250 to 260 pounds

We started with 2 hives late last summer and harvested 13 gallons (~160 lbs) by mid July of this year. We added 4 more hives in late May and left the bees what they gathered for winter stores. Congrats on your honey harvest!

I bought two packages , set up two hives , one had chalkbrood in early spring/summer and were slow to expand , eventually got about 30 lbs from that hive.

The other hive was better and produced 130 lbs.

Both hives seemed to fill both bottom deeps with winter stores/brood OK.

Will see if they make it through winter , have been feeding 2:1 untill the cold weather , have grease patties and comb honey I have been putting on top bars in a small 2" feeder space I made , they are still taking it when days are warm.

Location is BC/Idaho border , southern BC.