Default Strengthening a weak hive

I am a new beekeeper, with one hive now, and will be adding two additional hives in the Spring. My current hive is a little weak and I am hoping to nurse it through the winter. If it survives, is there a way you can strengthen the hive with another package of bees? Is there a way you can add a package without a queen? Will the new bees be accepted by the original hive? I am guessing if you dumped in a couple of pound of bees there would be big trouble. Any tips or tricks to this?

Default Re: Strengthening a weak hive

I have read that you can shake the bees out of what ever you have them in . In front of a hive and they will go right in.
    On the other hand you can take frames of brood from one hive and put them in another and there is no fighting.
    Last edited by johns bees; 10-25-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling

So, if I bought a package without a queen, I could shake them in front of the hive and they wouldn't fight? Or should I shake them in an empty box and put it on the hive?

I just think that if this hive survives the winter, they will need some assistance in the Spring.

Let's logic this out.
    How different would be pouring a queen-less package of bees into an existing colony be from a bunch of robbing bees suddenly appearing?
    Isn't the classical way of strengthening a hive to seperate the new from the old (perhaps newspaper) and allow the new guys to chew their way into the original colony? that way there is time for the "newbees" to accept the existing queen.
    Make sense? - MIke

That is what I was originally thinking of doing. So, i could add a box on top, separated by a newspaper, pour the new bees in the box, and close up the hive. Sort of like a normal combine, except there are no built out frames. Do I need to put some kind of feed with the new bees, since they won't have an exit, and no stores in the hive?

Make a few slits in the newspaper before adding the bees. The bees will be fine for three days or so with spring weather. They will have chewed through by then.
    They should have a ventilated inner cover with an exit hole. That will be sufficient. Done it MANY times.

Great! I really appreciate everyone's help on Beesource.