Thread: Got stung

Default Got stung

Can you believe I can go into my hives with minumum trouble and not get stung. Today, I was just walking and a bee flew into my forehead and of course stung me. Goes to show you having bees is no more dangerous than walking around outside.

Default Re: Got stung

After three seasons keeping bees - caught a swarm, did a cut-out this season and have 13 colonies... I still haven't been stung once.

In fact, I haven't been stung in about 30 years - even working bees as a kid with my Grandfather. I've only been stung by honeybees twice in my life. Once when I stepped on one in bare feet in the clover. The other when I was just watching the hives, and my cousin got scared and batted one with his hat - and it went right into the leg of my shorts and stung me in the butt.

I was probably 12 then.

Adam

When the fall flow starts to diminish I usually see and increase in defensiveness while walking past the hive.

All 30 of my hives are are just about in winter mode. No brood and not much foraging activity. The definsiveness is over.

PS

got stung only twice this year.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

My bees do not mind to inject stuff in me at the good occasion. There are plenty of occasions since beehives are located close to the house. In most cases I got "injection" randomly without obvious reason. Last time I got it when crush-and-strain my last October honey batch- poor thing stuck in the honey and I got "injection" very unexpectedly. Now I know what is the weakest part of my body - a fingertip. My rate is 1 sting in 2-3 weeks, but girls love me in this sense. I think,there is something about different people, some of them could do whichever they wanted with bees and another got stung at the first occasion. I have to admit, that I am in the second category, which is sad because I love my bees...
    Серёжа, Sergey

Took 4 stings this year, only 2 was when I was working a hive. One bee was in the recess in the tab on a pf100, when I put my finger over her to pick up the frame, I got stung. The other was putting in Hopguard and the bees got flighty and mean when I was putting in a strip, took one to the wrist. The other two I was just observing but was either smashing ants or looking at something near the entrance and someone took offense. One in the nose, one in the temple on separate occasions, needless to say, I wear my veil now at all times and don't worry about bees getting in my face now and it's much more relaxing.

I get stung several times a week....Hardly worth mentioning. But, it can happen at the most unexpected times.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Worked 11 hives today with no gloves and no stings...until a yellow jacket landed on my little finger which had honey on it and nailed me. This sting was 10 times more painful than any bee sting.

Got stung 6 times this year, all in the space of about 5 minutes, three stings in exactly the same spot on the back of my left hand. Every time I looked down at my hand there was another bee stinging me. This hive was in a very bad mood for one day, since then they have been just as docile as the rest of my hives.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi