Thread: AŽ Hive

Default AZ Hive

OK may be its just me but i cant find any plans for AŽ Hive, i'm asking Slovaks and Slovenians to do this for every beekeeper in the world because there's a lot of people that would love to build couple of hives
    please make detailed pictures with measurements and step by step progress, i thing that should do it for know i hope i'm not asking for to much?

Some one must do it no excuses
    Last edited by gregluxus; 10-24-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Default Re: AŽ Hive

Try web.bf.uni-lj.si/jbozic/cic/AZhive.html This is from a very quick internet search.

there's not much visual details thank you

I really want to try one of these also, really just for the curiosity factor. There are pictures around the web, but rarely measurements. Realize that you're going to be building everything including the frames, so the measurements are really yours to determine. I don't have the shop in which to build it or I already would have. I was going to buy one from www.logar-trade.si, they have nice pictures where you could get the general idea. Unfortunately they wouldn't put it on a slow boat, the only way they'd ship it was by air, which meant the shipping itself was I think $400

Someday if I somehow come into unexpected money maybe I'll splurge, but I couldn't justify it no matter how curious I am.

i have hope in our slovenian friends

Pick the features you like and start building ... how wrong could you be? It is not like there are not variations.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Agree w/Acebird....I think many if not most of these in Slovenia are home made.

Guess I have a little more than a curiosity factor....my great grandparents came over on a slow boat from Knežak. Someday I plan to visit the old country, including the beekeeping museum, and I'll be doing my best to send back a hive

lets wait a little maybe someone will save us

Серёжа, Sergey

thank you everyone i should be starting construction next week and be done in a month

Those are sweet looking hives! If you put something together do us a favor and put your plans up on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by gregluxus View Post
    thank you everyone i should be starting construction next week and be done in a month
    Could anybody explain how it actually works? Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

i will do my best it will take me a while

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Could anybody explain how it actually works? Sergey
    looks like no one in USA own one

looks like no one in USA own one
    My wife sent to me a picture of the beehouse in Switzerland (Swiss beehouse in "picture gallery"). It is a massive permanent construction: front of it is just couple of row of the beehives attached together forming a wall. It is my understanding that there is a "back room" from which one have access to the back sides of beehives. It seems to me that those "Swiss" beehives have similar construction as AŽ Hive discussed here - access from the back via sort of the door (on beehive). But, "Swiss" hive, seems to me, had only one bottom entrance. This Slovenian hive has two (?) entrances for brood and honey chambers, am I right? I also could not figure out the design of the frame. What is the purpose of the circular cuts at the ends? Is this sort of a handle? Very confusing. Another confusion is that for cold weather, AŽ Hive has double-walls with the gap - it complicates the whole drawings. I would probably try to re-draw the plan removing "complications" like double-walls etc first -just to have a general idea about whole thing. I would be interested to learn more about this hive. Please, post the pictures when you are in the process. Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

i will do my best what do you think about buting styrofoam insulation between whe walls?

i will do my best what do you think about buting styrofoam insulation between whe walls?
    The way how I saw (Swiss variety) - the beehives are located inside the room and only front part is outside, forming the front wall with bee-entrances. In this sense, I do not think, insulation is such important because the body of the hive is indoor actually... For free-standing beehive, insulation must be equal in all sides. I remember that in Russia, they also use two layers of wood planks, no insulation between, only some air. I think the idea behind this is that you need humidity control - small gaps between planks provide some air-circulation. In Russia, they used outer planks with "tooth", so "tooth" in one plank go inside the groove in another, it is not glued, it is just nailed to internal part. Basically, you make a beehive from quite thick boards and cover the entire body with layer of planks with "tooth". Outer planks overlap inner boards. It is kind of shell - this is why I think that dimensions of the internal part, the core are more important.
    Серёжа, Sergey