Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

couple questions about uncapped honey and SHB, and bee escape

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sweetas 
#1 ·
I took a deep off last night and there were a couple of frames, 1 had about 25% uncapped and another about half. Is it ok to use this uncapped honey? I don't know how I would separate it from the caped honey anyway.

Also I noticed about 4 little black beetles which I assume are SHB running around in the super. How concerned should I be about this and what should I do? I was considering an oil trap under the SBB, any thoughts? I did find maybe 2-3 on my sticky board when I checked it, but no mites!!

I used a bee escape for the first time but after 24 hrs there were still like 100 bees in the super. Is that normal?

#8 ·
UNCAPPED
If it is not capped, leave it. It appears the common consensus is it has to be 80% capped. Bees cap at 17% moisture so there is a little tolerance to have the final mix at under 21% ( the point where honey will ferment) . If one size is capped I will extract it and leave the other.

100 BEES
100 bees is about a 99% clearance so you have done well. Either brush or blow out the remainder.

SHB
No experience here. We don't have the problem in sunny Perth, Western Australia. ( it is only a matter of time).

Have fun

GEoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.