amitraz approved for S.D.

12K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Ishi 
#1 ·
a post from bee-l from randy oliver

Today, EPA issued a section 18 for amitraz in beehives to South Dakota, who
was the original requesting state. The section 18 use pattern is for food
use so honey harvest is allowed. It closely resembles ... the
*proposed* section
3 label for Apivar Strips, which is currently under EPA review.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com

#4 ·
Pretty sure they are saying it is for use on hives which produce surplus honey but not to be used while the honey supers are actually on the hives.

#3 ·
What is being said is that a small group of beekeepers from the American Honey Producers have worked thier tails off for the past 3 years mainly at there own expense to move the wheels of government, and they have succedded so far. I applaud the work group and there efforts.

#22 ·
And here is another angle to consider:
Commercial beekeepers have relied heavily on Taktic over the last several years with no measurable resistance problems in most areas.
Some consider Taktic to be the life line for commercial bees in many years.
Now, we are going to make amitraz available to every Tom Dick and Harry to place in their backyard hives or even commercial hives and forget about.
How long will total resistance take to wipe out amitraz in the wrong hands.
One thing that has saved amitraz from resistance problems is the deliver systems most folks use that is in and out. This new product is for 56 days?!!!
I'm not so sure this is good news in the big picture, over the long haul.

#24 ·
How long will total resistance take to wipe out amitraz in the wrong hands.
One thing that has saved amitraz from resistance problems is the deliver systems most folks use that is in and out. This new product is for 56 days?!!!
I'm not so sure this is good news in the big picture, over the long haul.
I talked to a friend that was running a trial for one of the large places thats trying to legalize it country wide. He had favorable results from it. I am not sure how he used it (ie as prescribed). I always thought the effectiveness of taktic is because Beeks set the dosage level and because as you stated its in and out. I could be wrong as I WOULD NEVER color outside the lines and ONLY use Apiguard to treat for varroa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.