Default Hive stand setup

Hey just wondering what kind of stands people have setup for around 30 hives. I will be placing hives at the edge of a hay field next to tupelo swamp. These hives will be permanent. I'm deciding between pallets and a framed bench type setup where one bench will hold 6 stands. One concern is how many years a wooden stand like this will last. Pictures and ideas much appreciated.

Default Re: Hive stand setup

I get some free pallets and cut them down to 3 boards wide with a chainsaw. They fit two 10 frame hives, a nuc if you wanted. I sometimes stack them two high. I kept around 24 colonies this year. I hope to keep expanding, if so I'll keep using the pallets for stands.
    20161222_121036_zpsn1lljcfq.jpg

I have one built with PVC PIPE. Building a few more over the winter.

I just use whatever is available. Some hives have pallets some have 8x8s another has a tree stump 2 have bricks. Its whats free and there at the time. But pallets are free. Just go behind industrial buildings they always throw them out.

seems like pallets are junk , not made like they used to be, try them once in awhile and sometimes they fall apart before 1 season, go with cement blocks.

Cinder blocks are quick and easy along with being cheap. We use 2x6x8 for our nuc stands, and place them on cinder blocks.
    20160326_142356[1].jpg
    20160326_143529[1].jpg

They can be used for hive stands, and you can adjust the height with cinder blocks, so you wont have to bend over as far. A good coat of oil base paint, and they will last for 15 plus years before needing another coat of paint.

Robbie
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is what I am making now.

This is what I started with. 4x4s on cinder blocks.

I put the little ears on the ones I am making now to hold a frame or two when I inspect. I haven't tried them yet but think I am going to like the single stands better then the one with 5 hives on it. I am using junk wood on both.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

We have individual pvc stands. Used cinderblocks but termites went up the inside and we ended up replacing several bottom boards.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

I like concrete blocks, cheap, easy to level, etc. If you want to put a bunch of hives, put a couple of PT 4X4's across. Once installed and leveled, it's there for years.

My preference has been for cinder blocks and pressure treated 4x4s. The cinder blocks are cheap and a lot of time can be found for free. The 4x4s can be gotten for free from most any deck builder. Just call and ask that next time they tear down an old deck with usable 4x4s can you come and pick them up. The 1st & 2nd pic shows 14' 4x4s with room outside of the blocks to set things. The 3rd pic shows 10' 4x4s which will still hold 4 hives per stand but there is not room outside of the cinder blocks to hold things. The 4th pic is me when I was about 8 years old working my 2 hives (had cinder blocks and 8x8s on top back then) with just shorts and tee shirt. This setup is quick to put up, very sturdy, relatively inexpensive per stand, and gives you room to set tops, boxes, etc onto without putting anything on the ground.

Pics of my stands:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand

Click on the small pics for larger ones.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF