Default Equipment-storage

I used to have a large plastic tub that I used to put all my beekeeping equipment in. It was useful because I had all my gear in one centralised location, that I could easily move in/out of my car. The tub became damaged from rough use and equipment fell out through the gaps. Now, quite often I forget things and all my gear is scattered.

I need a better system. I'm wondering, what do you beekeepers use to store your equipment? Do you have some sort of beekeeping tool box?

Default Re: Equipment-storage

Hi Omnimirage,

I went and bought the nuc tool box and tools from Brushy Mountain. H only run two to three have and I'm only going into my second winter. The tool it works for me right now, maybe later it wont. If that happens I would move to a tote or a 5 gallon bucket.

I made a light weight nuc box w/strap and pockets on the outside for tools. The box comes in handy for holding frames during a inspection or manipulating hives. But, I have to confess I also have J-hook hive tools everywhere (truck, tool box, car, barn, etc.), them and razor knives just seem to migrate all about.

I use a 5 gallon bucket. Holds everything I need and easy to transport.

I made a 5 frame deep nuc with a strap. I carry my tools and smoker in it. If i need to transfer brood i put it in the nuc. The top cover has a hinge and hook lock. Works good so far.

Oh man, i have been trying to justify buying one of the commercial nuc-sized tool boxes, but i use a five gallon bucket with a <$20 tool belts to go over it. Between the pockets and the bucket i have most i need going out to the hives.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Try using one of those "indestructible" bags provided by supermarkets - flexible, capacious, comfortable to carry.

If you carry everything to the apiary in a nuc box and then use the nuc box ... how do you carry everything back again?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Apiarist - beekeeping in Fife, Scotland

I started with a sort of duffle bag that was given to me by the store where I bought my two hives. It worked pretty well for holding my hive tool, glasses, lemon grass oil, screws, etc. Then when I started treating with OAV, I kind of migrated to a 5 gallon bucket because it held more and was easier to get stuff out of. My smoker goes in a small covered ash can (small trash can with lid made of galvanized metal). I leave my hive tools in there, also, and it resides in the bee yard. That way I don't have to wait for my smoker to cool. Just drop it in and close the lid and walk away.

Firehouse Subs sells used 5 gallon pickle buckets with sealing lids for $2. Smells like pickles but would work great for storing tools in the bee yard.

I found good sized plastic tool boxes at home depot for 20 bucks. I got 2. one for bee work and one for oav. Still have to add a carry strap to them but has everything I need. I have a tractor size battery in the oav one. I like that I can put them in the bed of my truck and not worry about it spilling all over or getting wet.
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb

Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post
    i use a five gallon bucket with a <$20 tool belts to go over it. Between the pockets and the bucket i have most i need going out to the hives.

Ditto. Portable, cheap, and simple. Has room for most everything I need.
    Zone 7a

Have used five gallon bucket currently using something like a nuc box but with 1/4 plywood sides. A little over size.