Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

American Farm Bureau Announcement

19K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  beebze 
#1 ·
I copied this from OSBA (Oregon State Beekeepers Association) site, another beekeeper posted it who is also a member of BeeSource.

Good news from the American Farm Bureau:

Farm Vehicle Exemptions

The Federal Register has published the attached notice of statutory exemptions from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regarding the agency's actions to simplify regulations for farmers and their employees, as required by the new surface transportation reauthorization law, MAP-21. Farm Bureau strongly supported these exemptions.

The following regulations and exemptions took effect October 1:

A covered farm vehicle, including the individual operating that vehicle, shall be exempt from the following federal requirements:

•Any requirement related to commercial driver's licenses;
•Any requirement related to drug testing;
•Any requirement related to medical certificates;
•Any requirement related to hours of service; and
•Any requirement related to vehicle inspection, repair and maintenance.

Exemptions do not apply to a covered farm vehicle transporting hazardous materials that require a placard.

The covered farm vehicle must be equipped with a special license plate or other designation by the state in which the vehicle is registered to allow for identification of the vehicle as a farm vehicle by law enforcement personnel.

It should be noted that this law does not specifically exempt a farmer or rancher from any state requirements. There are no longer federal requirements relating to the above-mentioned regulations. Additionally, funding from the federal government to a state cannot be withheld if a state chooses to allow exemptions for agriculture.

Read more: http://orsba.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3139#ixzz2A8RFA29W

See less See more
#43 ·
Sorry to say, but there is a fly in the ointment.
A friend of mine just went through an audit with O-DOT and the gal told him that these exemptions only apply to 150 miles from the farm.
This very nice lady has been wrong before so I am going to contact the farm bureau guy and report back.
Stay tuned.
:/

#47 ·
Yes. If the truck is over 26,000 or the trailer is over 10,000 lbs. Is what the law has read. However what is a source of debate is whether those have been repealed everywhere or just within 150 miles of your home.

#53 ·
I've talked to beekeepers down in Ca and the Ca dot have 3 yrs to implement the new law. And from what I understand Ca is going to take the 3 full yrs to implement these new rule changes. So don't take any chances keep doing what you've been doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.