I copied this from OSBA (Oregon State Beekeepers Association) site, another beekeeper posted it who is also a member of BeeSource.

Good news from the American Farm Bureau:

Farm Vehicle Exemptions

The Federal Register has published the attached notice of statutory exemptions from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regarding the agency's actions to simplify regulations for farmers and their employees, as required by the new surface transportation reauthorization law, MAP-21. Farm Bureau strongly supported these exemptions.

The following regulations and exemptions took effect October 1:

A covered farm vehicle, including the individual operating that vehicle, shall be exempt from the following federal requirements:

•Any requirement related to commercial driver's licenses;
•Any requirement related to drug testing;
•Any requirement related to medical certificates;
•Any requirement related to hours of service; and
•Any requirement related to vehicle inspection, repair and maintenance.

Exemptions do not apply to a covered farm vehicle transporting hazardous materials that require a placard.

The covered farm vehicle must be equipped with a special license plate or other designation by the state in which the vehicle is registered to allow for identification of the vehicle as a farm vehicle by law enforcement personnel.

It should be noted that this law does not specifically exempt a farmer or rancher from any state requirements. There are no longer federal requirements relating to the above-mentioned regulations. Additionally, funding from the federal government to a state cannot be withheld if a state chooses to allow exemptions for agriculture.

Read more: http://orsba.proboards.com/index.cgi...#ixzz2A8RFA29W