Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: where is the best place to buy sugar

Re: HFCS
    It's how the HFCS is stored that's important.
    http://engineeringevil.com/2012/10/2...urfural-hmf-2/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    120F
    Researchers have established the conditions that foster formation of potentially dangerous levels of a toxic substance in the high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) often fed to honey bees. Their study, which appears in ACS’ bi-weekly Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, could also help keep the substance out of soft drinks and dozens of other human foods that contain HFCS. The substance, hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), forms mainly from heating fructose.

In the new study, Blaise LeBlanc and Gillian Eggleston and colleagues note HFCS’s ubiquitous usage as a sweetener in beverages and processed foods. Some commercial beekeepers also feed it to bees to increase reproduction and honey production. When exposed to warm temperatures, HFCS can form HMF and kill honeybees.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Here in South Eastern PA, Bottom Dollar prices are $1.99 / 4 lb bag.

Personally I won't use HFCS. I'm small and I do understand from a business standpoint things are often different. I use sugar. The thing I also read is using powdered sugar / baking sugar has other solids that aren't good either. Now truth be told all supplimental feeding is "bad" for the bees. Honey is best. Most that i know of aren't feeding honey in any quantity back to their bees, but it is best. From what I understand sugar is next, but that's debatable for sure.

The best price I found was about $26 for 50# bag at a local amish / menonite bulk food store near by. They beat wallmart's 10# bag by about $3.00 or so.

For all beekeepers in the North Texas area Sam's in Lewisville Tx. is now selling 25# bags of imperial pure cane sugar for 11.98 a bag. Best deal I have found in a long time.

Cane sugar and beet sugar are almost indistinguishable for any purpose. The reason that beet sugar is condemned is because of the insecticide placed on a tiny seed that four months later is harvested as a beet weighing several pounds. The production of the sugar is very much a matter of chemical reactions that involve parts of molecular chains precipitating out in the process and being collected. I don't see how much harmful chemical can come thru that process to endanger my grandchildren or my bees. I prefer they both eat honey, when you need to feed, this is just not something worth worrying about. Cane sugar goes thru a similiar chemical process to turn into those white granules favored by consumers. If you need to worry just for practice, by all means feel free. Personally I will take civilization in lieu of starving to death in the dark in a cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by megakg9 View Post
    Guys guys if it don't say cane sugar its not gona be cane sugar those store deals I found out is mostly for none cane sugars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12