Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default where is the best place to buy sugar

I am looking for a few hundred pounds of sugar for winter feeding. Does anyone know the best place to get it?

Default Re: where is the best place to buy sugar

Dadant is the cheapest I have found.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Do you have a Costco near you. They sell sugar in 50lb bags..

I have found 25# bags of sugar at Walmart cheaper than Costco

Quote Originally Posted by mulesii View Post
    I have found 25# bags of sugar at Walmart cheaper than Costco
    Same here. We pay $13.50 for each 25# bag at Walmart.

I have been stocking up at Aldi's grocery store.......4 lb bags for $1.78. I have 150 lbs ready to go. This is the best price I have found this year.

I see I'm going to have to go back to Walmart & Aldi's and check again.. Those are some good prices

Try a food for less. Or see if you can get HFCS somewhere.

Try a restaurant supply store like Cash and Carry or a Smart and Final. They normally stock bakers sugar and I've found it to dissolve really good in cold tap water.

all of the above are good ideas. i'll just add one more, though this might be for smaller bee yards ... watch your local supermarkets for a sale. aldi is usually the best for everyday, but sometimes the local grocery chains can have it for less. when they do, stock up and store it in plastic totes until you need it. (and if they have a limit, take your kids and you can all buy sugar to the limit!)
    Lovin' bees & beekeeping in Zone 5b

I am presently purchasing sugar, in 25 pound bags for $13.46 each at Walmart, a few cents per pound cheaper than the next closest price, Costco in 50 pound bags, but their price is a few cents more per pound.

I could probably get an even better price break if I could afford purchasing in 2,200 pound totes, or train car loads. Ahh, maybe someday.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Guys guys if it don't say cane sugar its not gona be cane sugar those store deals I found out is mostly for none cane sugars

Quote Originally Posted by megakg9 View Post
    Guys guys if it don't say cane sugar its not gona be cane sugar those store deals I found out is mostly for none cane sugars
    Wally is definitely selling cane.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Food for less, 4 lb bags are less expensive then the Costco big bags. I think the name brand is Western and there is generally some sort of floating debris (leave or stick pieces), but I have not received complaints from the bees yet. I never understand why the little bags cost less but the measuring is handy. I am at $2.28/ 4lb best price here in the PNW, far less than was quoted in other posts. I will drop in and see what wally has to say.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I have been buying imperial pure cane sugar at Sams for 12.96 for 25# bag. The one thing that I have found is that not all Sams are the same price. There are probably 10 or more of them within 60 miles of my house and the price ranges from 12.96 to around 15.50 for the same thing.

Why dont you run over to the Paris location for Dadant and buy HFCS from them? You dont even have to cut it.

Other than that Aldis is hands down the cheapest granulated sugar I found, and my bees dont care if its cane or beet sugar. Its clean sugar and thats all they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Why dont you run over to the Paris location for Dadant and buy HFCS from them? You dont even have to cut it.
    HFCS runs at approx 2:1 sugar equivalent. I can buy a 5 pound bucket for $27 (give or take, depending on where it is at). I can pick it up at BM for that price http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/871F/ Or I can buy cane sugar from Wally and mix myself. To make 5 gal I need 44 lbs. At $13.46 (the last price I paid) per 25# bag, that equates to $0.54 /lb. To make 5 gal of 2:1 would cost me $23.69. I'm still saving money by mixing it myself, rather than using HFCS.

$3.50 per 5 gal isn't that much in savings, but you also have to figure that wally is 10 min from my house, and BM (the closest retailer) is about an hour and a half. When you factor in the gas, I"m saving alot more than that.

Of course, if I could afford HFCS in totes I'd be saving more money. But then again the same can be said for bulk sugar . . .

It is all in how you decide to cut it up isnt it.

Last time I bought totes of HFCS I paid pennies over the cost of an entire semi load. I can't remember exact per lbs cost, but you always get a better deal if you buy the sugar and mix it yourself which is what I have to do while in NYS as I cant seem to find HFCS here forsale. So it takes me over 2 hours to mix a tote of granulated sugar when you consider all time involved.
    Travel to store.
    Time in store loading carriage.
    Travel from store.
    filling tote with water.
    dumping in sugar
    disposing of sugar bags.
    mixing tote.

As opposed to 10 minutes to fill tote with HFCS. Some parts of the year its just worth paying a little more. Other times it doesnt much matter.

Question? I have never fed HFCS, but have been told its not good for the bees. Have I been mislead on this subject? I keep bees for 20 years. Then was out of the business for about 20 more years. Until I started back last year. A lot of things have changed during that time. I am now trying to learn modern beekeeping over again. I guess it just goes to show once you get beekeeping in your blood its always in your blood. Thanks for all the great advice.

It is my understanding the process of making HFCS generates an acid that is not terribly healthy for the bees. Of course I look at that with a grain of salt. Fumidil is far from healthy for the bees. All mite treatments seem to mess them up as well. I know some folks will argue the mite treatment but lets face it, most things we do to produce honey on a production level isn't healthy for the bees.

It is however better than having dead bees as a result of mite overload or nosema running rampant in the hive.

The straight answer is yes its not good for the bees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast