Hybrid View

Default where is the best place to buy sugar

I am looking for a few hundred pounds of sugar for winter feeding. Does anyone know the best place to get it?

Default Re: where is the best place to buy sugar

Dadant is the cheapest I have found.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Do you have a Costco near you. They sell sugar in 50lb bags..

I have found 25# bags of sugar at Walmart cheaper than Costco

Quote Originally Posted by mulesii View Post
    I have found 25# bags of sugar at Walmart cheaper than Costco
    Same here. We pay $13.50 for each 25# bag at Walmart.

I have been stocking up at Aldi's grocery store.......4 lb bags for $1.78. I have 150 lbs ready to go. This is the best price I have found this year.

Guys guys if it don't say cane sugar its not gona be cane sugar those store deals I found out is mostly for none cane sugars

Quote Originally Posted by megakg9 View Post
    Guys guys if it don't say cane sugar its not gona be cane sugar those store deals I found out is mostly for none cane sugars
    Wally is definitely selling cane.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Food for less, 4 lb bags are less expensive then the Costco big bags. I think the name brand is Western and there is generally some sort of floating debris (leave or stick pieces), but I have not received complaints from the bees yet. I never understand why the little bags cost less but the measuring is handy. I am at $2.28/ 4lb best price here in the PNW, far less than was quoted in other posts. I will drop in and see what wally has to say.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I have been buying imperial pure cane sugar at Sams for 12.96 for 25# bag. The one thing that I have found is that not all Sams are the same price. There are probably 10 or more of them within 60 miles of my house and the price ranges from 12.96 to around 15.50 for the same thing.

Why dont you run over to the Paris location for Dadant and buy HFCS from them? You dont even have to cut it.

Other than that Aldis is hands down the cheapest granulated sugar I found, and my bees dont care if its cane or beet sugar. Its clean sugar and thats all they care about.

Cane sugar and beet sugar are almost indistinguishable for any purpose. The reason that beet sugar is condemned is because of the insecticide placed on a tiny seed that four months later is harvested as a beet weighing several pounds. The production of the sugar is very much a matter of chemical reactions that involve parts of molecular chains precipitating out in the process and being collected. I don't see how much harmful chemical can come thru that process to endanger my grandchildren or my bees. I prefer they both eat honey, when you need to feed, this is just not something worth worrying about. Cane sugar goes thru a similiar chemical process to turn into those white granules favored by consumers. If you need to worry just for practice, by all means feel free. Personally I will take civilization in lieu of starving to death in the dark in a cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by megakg9 View Post