Default Third Week Inspection: Time to Stop With These

Okay, so I did my third week inspection and had a very clear signal that I need to stop doing these for the time being.

No problems in the hive itself. Still got capped brood with no sign of eggs, spotted what looked like an empty emergency queen cell and another queen cell that had the top opened a bit (could see a bee inside that did not appear to be moving), so should be okay there.

The "Okay, time to stop this" moment came when due to multiple layers of clothing and 90+ degree heat I went lightheaded and almost dropped the brood frame. Luckily I held on to one end and it swung down perfectly in the empty slot below it, didn't look like I did any damage with it, but that was definitely my "Okay, put it down and walk away" moment. Should have seen it coming though, I was sweating so bad it was dripping through the veil down onto the frame bars (maybe bees like a little extra salt?). Didn't realize how overheated I was until I got back down to the house and nearly had my knees go out from under me. Yeah, time for cold drinks, less air conditioning, and more time spent outside to acclimate to the heat more.

But yeah, the bees are going to do what the bees want to do, and at this point other than satisfying my own curiosity the frame checks only stand to cause potential harm, so I'm done with that for now. I'll still check on them to see if they've finally reached the point where they could use the second deep, but no more frame checks. Last thing I need is to have them finally get a new queen and me accidentally kill her.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Default Re: Third Week Inspection: Time to Stop With These

>The "Okay, time to stop this" moment came when due to multiple layers of clothing and 90+ degree heat I went lightheaded and almost dropped the brood frame

Time to buy an Ultra Breeze...

http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/

I think heat is one of the hardest things about beekeeping...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

and drink some electrolytes. I use Emergen-C. Comes in little packets you just put it in your water & shake. Widely available including Wal-Mart. Pedialyte works too but I don't like the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by John D. View Post
    and drink some electrolytes. I use Emergen-C. Comes in little packets you just put it in your water & shake. Widely available including Wal-Mart. Pedialyte works too but I don't like the taste.
    Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. Should have seen it coming. I had spent all day indoors in the AC without drinking enough liquids, suited up and went outside with the smoker, and it was just an accident waiting to happen.

A small ice pack under your ball cap works well too. If I'm going to be doing something lengthy in the hives, I keep a couple of these in the freezer ready to go. (small gel type)

+2 on the suit. I didn't get the ultrabreeze because I wanted a round veil. I got the one Pigeon Mt sales. Should have done that the day I ordered my nucs!

Another alternative if you are routinely spending long periods of time in hot suits is a fishing vest. You know, the tackle vests with lots of pockets all over it?

Get one of those, then get those re-freezable gel ice packs. Keep them in the freezer until you need them, then put one in each vest pocket. Then put your suit on over the top of that. The ice packs will help keep you cool.