Default How to level a hive and foundationless

Hi
    So I'm planning on getting two of my first hives next spring and have a location picked out. However, said location isn't perfectly level (probably no location is level unless you have a hive indoors .) How do you level out your hives? I figured I might stamp down on the cinderblocks I will use to raise the hive, effectively leveling the ground...doesn't seen like the smartest way to me though.

I plan on going foundationless because I am lazy and from what i understand level hives are really important for how the comb is built.

Also....It's also supposed to be important to slightly raise the back of the hive so any rainwater drains out the entrence...does this work against a foundationless and how its supposed to be level?
    Last edited by Gus979; 10-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: How to level a hive and foundationless

I use 2 cinder blocks per hive with an oak 2X3 cut 3-4" greater than hive width on top of each. Get the cinderblocks stable and close to flat by grading where they go (shovel, foot, or drag the block back and forth); then you can shim the the oak where needed to get them level side to side and sloping forward 1/8-1/4" between the two.

As long as you frames are running front to back that slope won't bother foundationless (it is the side to side that needs to be dead on)
    This method also lets you easily adjust the hive back to true in spring after things have settled, the frost goes out of the ground, and they are ready to start building more comb.

What windfall described is similar to what I have done but I made paving brick columns four bricks high and two thick w/ 2 x 6's across (a front plank and back).

In addition to shimming under some boards I have shimmed directly under the hive stand/bottom board where needed.

Just build your stand and level but also check the level of your bottom board once placed on the stand to account for any imperfections anywhere. I check the level once or twice a year to make sure it's still good since half my frames are foundationless.

I don't tilt the hives at all and have never had an issue w/ rain water--but I use gabled covers so the water runs off to the sides

I use concrete, you can make a frame out of a 8 foot 2x2, and buy 2 bags of sakcrete for less than $10. If you dont make a level pad, and go with cinder blocks or pavers, you can pick up a pack of shims at Home Depot for $2, to level them up.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Hi
    I agree with the guys about shimming the bee platforms. As far as going foundationless your first time around, I would highly suggest doing 50/50 first to help the bees out and to allow yourself to learn about them. I suggest getting nucs instead of packages, and stagger foundation/foundationless frames. Good luck!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-23-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: UNQuote

Mine is on a 2X4 frame with 1/2" pipe for legs. The legs are in vitamin water bottles with oil for ants. It is sitting on 12" square concrete "pavers" and is leveled front to back and side to side.

Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I use shims. Synthetic ones that will not rot. Also, pitch it a little for rainwater drainage.

This is how i build my stands but i use treated 4x4 1 foot tall. Then i add shim to the back of the stand. Then all you have to level is the side to side part my stands are for 2 or 3 hives only and all of my hives are foundationless .[QUOTE=mmmooretx;860837]Mine is on a 2X4 frame with 1/2" pipe for legs. The legs are in vitamin water bottles with oil for ants. It is sitting on 12" square concrete "pavers" and is leveled front to back and side to side.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 11-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.

My stands are four by eight feet. I level one stand and put 14 8 frame hives on it. I level them by various means, including a shovel, a saw, other boards, concrete blocks and bricks.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF