Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: b2) Beginners Beekeeping Books

I have a dozen or so, but my "main-stays" are "ABC-XYZ".., "The Hive and the Honey Bee", and Taylor's "How-To-Do-It..." . I use bits from all of them but usually grab "How-To" first, as it's well organized into many small treatments of usually just a few paragraphs. It's a quick way to jog my memory to the other sources. 151 short stories on the How-To's of beekeeping. Easy to read, front to back, unlike many others.

I used to have several boxes of old Gleanings from Bee Culture and The American Beekeeper mags - years (and years) of each. They came as part of a bee business I bought out in the 90's. I read most of them, but don't have many left.

I suppose it's time I got something that was written in this millennia... but another interesting read is the 1917 (2nd) edition of ABC that I acquired many years ago - for one, it also describes the queen's mating flight as her "wedding flight". There's a barely visible "Grace Margaret Starryon Roe, 1918 " penciled on the inside cover - obviously the original owner. Many of the illustrations are intricately hand drawn.

Default Re: b2) Beginners Beekeeping Books

Kim Flottum has a brand new revision of "The Backyard Beekeeper" just out on Amazon for about $15. The photographs are excellent and all in color. His writing is excellent as usual. I think it just became my new favorite, edging out "Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping" mainly because of the good photos which are very useful to beginners. I like both because they address the treatment free approach.

(I was never impressed with beekeeping for dummies. Unless they have a new revision it is pretty heavily treatment-based.)

Default Re: a) Overview, the big picture

"Beekeeping for Dummies" is the required book for my local Beekeeper's Association beekeeping class
    Last edited by Barry; 04-30-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Default Re: a) Overview, the big picture

After reading tons of beekeeping books, my absolute favorite book is The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile.
    It covers every necessary beekeeping topic and then some, offering information in a way that is easy to comprehend and directions that are easy to follow. There are many helpful diagrams. While the text is easy for a beginner to understand, it also offers scientific information, explanations, and data, making it a book for everyone. It includes a variety of solutions for various problems and gives pros and cons for each, allowing the beekeeper to determine the path that will be best in their situation.

A second favorite is Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12