Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHB Question

Default Re: SHB Question

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    Is that the beetle jail? that goes over your enterance?
    I tried one and took it off after a week. My bees did not like it and I had 8 lbs. of bees Hanging on to the bottom of my SBB. I liked the design and the workmanship, but I listened to my bees.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Yes, i believe that's what it was called, sorry it didn't work out for you MIke, I guess you never know til you try but I thought the theory was sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Yes, i believe that's what it was called, sorry it didn't work out for you MIke, I guess you never know til you try but I thought the theory was sound.
    Yes they have several models. The entrance one is the one that did not work, I have 5 Jr. traps in the hives. I still have one of their frame traps in position 10, deep, that has drone wax foundation at the bottom half. Love the idea, I have about 8 dead beetles in the oil trap but no building on the drone foundation yet. It has only been in about 3 weeks and it is in the upper brood chamber of a hive that I did the split on 23 Aug. Plus it only has one foundationless 3/4 built and starts on a couple of plasticell frames, and do not really expect drone building at this time of year. Bees were on the foundation. Spring will tell.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

i've had good success with the 'better beetle blaster', (mann lake). cheap and disposable.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12