Hybrid View

Default Petition to suspend neonicotinoids in NJ

Back in August Governor Christie sent some letters to member of the NJBA thanking them for their essential work with honeybees. I thought to take this and run with it and ask the Governor for his help in suspending what I believe is wreaking major havoc with our honeybees; neonics. Poland, Italy, Germany, Spain and France all have banned or decreased use of these chemicals that are highly toxic to honeybees because beekeepers banned together and rallied to their ministries to ask them to. If NJ could be the first state to do this, perhaps the rest will follow. We will present this at our NJBA winter meeting where the Governor is scheduled to attend. There are several petitions to the EPA from various beekeeping and other groups to ask for a ban on the neonic registration. I figure if we ask for a suspension, we may get it! Thank you for any help with our petiton and you may want to start your own in your state. If anyone does, post it and I will sign as many petitions that anyone posts to suspend these chemicals!

http://www.change.org/petitions/gove...-in-new-jersey

Default Re: Petition to suspend neonicotinoids in NJ

i don't know that much about neonics, but do you think randy oliver has got it all wrong?

under his "New Items" is "The Harvard Study on imidacloprid and CCD
    Updated May 1 2012"

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/

and this one,

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/a-ne...-clothianidin/

again, i wish i knew more, but i have always considered randy oliver a reputable source.

in my opinion, the jury is still out.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i don't know that much about neonics, but do you think randy oliver has got it all wrong?.
    I dont. Randy formulates his opinions and logical conclusions from scientific data. His assessments always seem to pass the logic test based on my beekeeping experiences.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Dave Hackenberg reminded folks at MOFGA's Common Ground Fair that the neo-nics will soon be off patent and the next generation of pesticides introduced. I'm troubled by a lack of clear evidence against the neo-nics and think our attention should largely turn to what's coming next.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Also, sadly, when Monsanto purchased Beelogics they also bought a few beekeepers along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by honeylove View Post
    Also, sadly, when Monsanto purchased Beelogics they also bought a few beekeepers along with it.
    easier posted than proven

In EU, after banning the chems, the bees rebounded. Sweet and simple practical science.

not really, unless causality was proven. bees are rebounding here too.

I'm still waiting for a defining study that implicates neonics. So far that has not happened except for talc contamination when planting corn. Beekeepers would do well to control varroa, nosema and maintain strong hives. That's the solution IMO. I never want to go back to the old pesticides when hundreds of hives were wiped out with the single pass of a crop duster.

Quote Originally Posted by honeylove View Post
    In EU, after banning the chems, the bees rebounded. Sweet and simple practical science.
    In some places yes, in some places no. Not the simple proof it might have been.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

you are right Andrew. What is coming next? I am sure they have a whole new arsenal of even more toxic stuff to throw at them.