Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black paint

Default Black paint

It was suggested that I should paint my hives black to keep the temperatures up during the winter. I found two at Lowe's for a not outrageous price. Now, I am trying to figure out which one would work better. One says that it is livestock safe and the other says it is environmentally friendly.

http://http://www.lowes.com/LowesPro...255D%3D1z10wbp

The livestock safe and more expensive one appears to be >99% organic and cover twice as much area. Is there something I am missing? Are both types safe for my bees?

Default Re: Black paint

It would be much easier to wrap the hives with 15 lb roofing paper. You just need to remove it in the Spring vs repainting the hives white again. Plus you get the bonus of some wind protection.

The black might also cook them in the summer. That's one reason many are white.

Just an opinion, go with the livestock safe. You're only painting the OUTSIDE, right? Many of us here in Western WA paint our hives dark colors with no thought of painting them white for summer. With average summer temps in the 70's (and 90-100's extremely rare), white paint here is for traditionalists, not bee safety. "Oops" paint of any dark color is common used, especially greys, dark greens and blues, in these parts...
    I don't keep bees, I tend bees. Does this make me a beet?
    Sea level, Puget Sound, USDA 7a-7b

Paint them brown, just like a tree trunk. Or Army green, man do they blend in against the bushes and trees. Mine are colored both, and the brown was in pretty much full sun most of the day.

my hives are painted fun colors, reds, blue, green, yellow, purple. And of course my 3 year old grand daughter when I asked her what color her hive should bee, yup you guessed it pink! White hives were way to boring for me.
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/9 year Bee Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    Paint them brown, just like a tree trunk. Or Army green, man do they blend in against the bushes and trees. Mine are colored both, and the brown was in pretty much full sun most of the day.
    I got the suggestion from the local bee store to paint my hives any dark color, other than brown and green, because they are so hard to see. I guess that is what I get for living in a rainforest.

My hives are currently purple.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Every box of mine is a different color. We mix half buckets and make new colors. The handles are a different color then the box. My daughter has even painted pink polkadots on some. Lids are other colors, entrance reducers are others etc. I am sure the girls are confused..

I've painted all of mine dark, chocolate brown. We almost never see temperatures above 85F here, and we have a ton of weather in the 60's-70's. In my region, I think you've got to do everything to maximize heat year-round.

Adam

In western Washington, painting the boxes a dark color to help the hives out in winter is a big plus. Summers here are not that warm that you need to worry about the hives overheating. A dark forest green is my preferance. Making the hives blend in to the enviroment is a plus in my book too. Less chance of someone haseling them. More important is to have good ventalation to let the moisture out. With 90 days of constant rain, moisture is our main problem in Western WA. Scott

>A dark forest green is my preferance.
    >I've painted all of mine dark, chocolate brown.

By painting your hives these colors you are, like me, in for a barrage of ridicule and harassment by member CharlieB. I am glad that a I am not alone in educating him about appropriate hive coloration.

Paint to your hearts desire, but have a reason that makes sense to you. If it works for you, and your bees, then it works. I painted mine to match my house, because they are so close to the house and I don't want to draw too much attention to them.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

I've been carpeting the landscape with white hives here in Maine and haven't found it necessary to paint my hives a dark color. Certainly, I wouldn't be painting them black. Mostly, the wrapping is to keep the wind off the hives. Last year, my losses were unwrapped hives in windswept areas.

Of course, I'm only in Maine and your idea of cold might be different than mine.

Wayne

The very best color to paint a hive is "free paint" if you have that color the beekeeper really likes it and the bees don't seem to care so much. While I prefer a forest green color, I picked up free paint that the county recycling division was giving away. It is a blue gray color. Have been thinking of adding pigmint to darken it up, but that would cost money and it wouldn't be free paint anymore....

Scott

I paint my hives a light Grey and have them in a place where it is semi shaded by trees in the summer and when fall comes the leaves fall from the trees exposing the hives to full sunlight. I am really partial to grey as it really absorbs the suns heat.
    Last edited by WWW; 10-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Why not consider multicolor based on the position of the box. Make deeps dark colors on the sides for the morning and evening sun and light color in front, for mid day normal temperature. The supers consider painting a light color cause the heat from the bottom deep will be traveling up anyway, so it will help with keeping it warm there. Free is good, but saving sugar and getting the girl out to forage 1 hours earlier in the morning and 1 hour later at night, might be a little better.

I am thinking of painting my hive dark. and then painting only the southern side white again next spring. I have some different circumstances I am dealing with though. Even in summer when temps hit 100 or so.nights get very cool. Bees would not fly cool. I am toying around with way I might keep the hive temp up a bit and induce the bees to start flying earlier.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Many years ago I did some research on colors used for solar hot water heaters and dark green and black were the most efficient in heat collection.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Still not clear why it's even necessary to consider painting hives black in such a mild climate.

I'm staining my hives brown from now on, at least until the free stain runs out! I like the looks of stained hives. However I still paint the tops white to help reflect the heat.

For those with kids, painting hives is easy, just give them a brush and some paint and they are in heaven and love to do that portion of the dirty work!
    Coyote Creek Bees