Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Danish Buckfast Queens in the US?

18K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  biggraham610 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I buy mine through the Miksas.
Miksa gets his breeders from Canada?
There are a number of US queen producers claiming to have Buckfast but, as I understand it, they stopped importing germplasm from Europe decades ago...so the connection is pretty distant at best. And I wasn't aware of any that were claiming to have breeders directly from Europe.

#7 ·
I have three of Joe's Buckfast queens
Who is Joe?
"Our Danish Buckfast queens are daughters of genuine pedigree breeders imported from Denmark."
This is kind of the question I was asking in the op. It is my understanding that importation of live bees from Europe is still illegal. Then someone suggested that they were from Canada. Some sort of double import scheme?
There are several queen producers in the states that claim a Buckfast line. The Weavers in Texas and Miksa in FL come to mind. It is my understanding that their production queens are countless generations removed from the original Buckfast strains from Europe.
I, too, might be interested in some genuine old world Buckfast genetics but have some misgivings about those advertised by Dansk. Basically, I was hoping that someone had some additional knowledge about their queens' origins.

#6 ·
I'd like to hear more details from danskfarms.com as to their source and lineage. This statement is on their website: "Our Danish Buckfast queens are daughters of genuine pedigree breeders imported from Denmark." Not trying to be critical, but that could mean just about anything you want it to mean. More details would be helpful to those seeking modern versions of Buckfast bees.

#11 ·
Well what the heck. I think I am going to order some from them maybe five, and then order from Ferguson apiaries in Canada around five from him. Then I can compare the two equally since I want to do a masive increase next year. Both sites read about the same just small language difference. I will see. Maybe send some for actual DNA. We will see.

#19 ·
The Fergusons are a small, family operation, and much of the administration and ordering was done by their daughter, Sherri. From what I understand, Sherri had a serious motor vehicle accident in July, was badly injured and hospitalized. That has made things difficult for them, personally and professionally. When I got my queens from them in August, they were still reeling from the ordeal. I don't know how Sherri is doing now.

Have patience and keep trying. I would also advise emailing as well.

I got 10 of their queens for nucs. They built up well, but it's early to say much about their performance. The Fergusons were very nice to deal with, though.

Adam

#18 ·
The voices made me jerk your chain. LOL they are quiet now.
Why not pick up the phone and ask the question directly? None of us really know the answer to your legitimate question. Personally, I plan to try a handful on some spring splits and see how the perform here. Warmest regards, Rog

#23 ·
Well I will tell you that I spoke with Joe from the Florida apiary with the buckfast. Nice Guy and was very open about his queens and where they came from. His are open mated bit he does try to control the area. They are shipped in from Canada and he is trying to let the folks in the states an affordable buckfast that doesn't have the extra cost tagged on from ordering out of the states. Makes much since. I will be ordering mine at the end of November for next spring. If anyone needs a queen he still has them available till the end of November. I am very impressed with his openness and honesty. Will be definitely getting them from Joe.

#30 ·
They are shipped in from Canada and he is trying to let the folks in the states an affordable buckfast that doesn't have the extra cost tagged on from ordering out of the states. Makes much since.
Is this some kind of loophole in the import laws?

I´d love somebody in Canada get my queens, send them to US and start marketing my stock!:D

#24 ·
I've gotten nucs from Fla. for the past 2 seasons w/ open mated cells that were the danish buckfast strain from Miksas. I personally have been very impressed with these bees, nucs making me a honey crop, and very nice and easy bees to work.also large clusters with good weight going into winter,if these are actually the danish buckfast strain, thats great, all I know is, I wish all my bees looked like these bees

#25 ·
I placed an order with Dansk that was supposed to be shipped on the 15th of April. I tried to communicate with them when they didn't ship out. Left phone messages and emails. Luckily they take payment through Amazon payment services so I asked for a refund after two weeks of no communication. I would stay away from them unless they get some customer service, unless of course you are withing driving distance and you can get your product when you pay.

#26 ·
If you try and contact Miksa it is easier to send them an email. miksahf@aol.com They come in the office for a short time in the morning then they are out with the bees most of the day. I've tried calling several times and have never been able to talk to someone on the phone. But, have had good luck with the email. I've tried their Buckfast queens and really like them. I also like their Aurea queens too.

#33 ·
Welcome to BeeSource, NH Beekeeper!

Yes, it would be nice to get some AMM too from Denmark. I'm sure he can locate a source for those.
There is a group who maintain and exchange the good queens of the AMM too in Europe.
Can you contact him to see if he can get the AMM queens also?

#34 ·
If my memory is correct, the University of Guelph did the importation under a government program, then the University sold/distributed the breeder queens to breeders in Canada. Only the race of queens in the breeding program would be imported, not just any race desired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.