Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing of NUCs

Default Pricing of NUCs

If a 1 kg(2.2 lbs) package is $197 and assume the purchaser has no drawn comb, what should a 5 frame NUC be priced at?

Assume the five frames and NUC box are worth $25. My thoughts are that the NUC is more valuable because of drawn comb, likely considerably more bees and two frames of eggs/brood/capped brood. Think it is pretty safe to say that the NUC will produce 50 lbs more honey.

Is the complete NUC worth $275????
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Default Re: Pricing of NUCs

What does the price of one have to do with the price of the other? Find out what the going rate is where you live and price yours accordingly, maybe a little more if you think you can push the price up. If you are selling something, go for the price you want. And if you can't get it, be prepared to walk away. Be prepared to use the nucs yourself.
    "Most of my exercise comes from wrestling with pigs and beating dead horses."
    Mark Berninghausen

Local guy here sells 5 frame nucs for 30.dollar more than package.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What does the price of one have to do with the price of the other? Find out what the going rate is where you live and price yours accordingly, maybe a little more if you think you can push the price up. If you are selling something, go for the price you want. And if you can't get it, be prepared to walk away. Be prepared to use the nucs yourself.
    I think that that the price of a package is significant in establishing the price of a NUC. It is one of the competitors, as are other sellers of NUCs. The seller needs to educate the purchaser on the benefits of a NUC over a package. And sure, at the end of the day, the price in any deal is what the seller is willing to sell for and what the purchaser is willing to pay.

Thanks Rookie.

sqrcrk, if I may ask, what is spread in your area?

The value of a nuc is more than that of the bees, comb, and box.

A good nuc is a functioning colony with an accepted, laying queen and a lot of brood about to emerge.

Here, a package can be had for $110 most places, but nicks go for $140& up.
    One beekeeper is asking $200 for her nucs and will likely get it (she is a decent marketer).

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    sqrcrk, if I may ask, what is spread in your area?
    If by spread you mean the range of prices of 5 frame nucs that would be $107.00 to $145.00. If you mean the difference between the price of Packages and the price of nucs. No idea. I'd have to call Mann Lake in PA and ask them.

And where you are?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    One beekeeper is asking $200 for her nucs and will likely get it (she is a decent marketer).
    I would dare say that this person doesn't care if she sell her nucs or not. She understands that she will make her $200.00 per nuc whether she sells them or uses them to produce honey. That's what I was getting at above.
    Mark Berninghausen

Is a nuc worth $275? Perhaps in your eyes. Maybe, maybe the onezies twozies. I doubt very much that beekeepers would fork over that kind of cash. I mean the buyer has to have a chance to pay for the nuc in the first year and have some money left over to overwinter the things, needs cash to extract too. At that price, well it just do not work out for the buyer... IMHO. I suppose if you can get it go for it. It would surprise me... but then again some people are asking $200 for packages.

Jean-Marc

What something is worth depends on whether you are selling or buying. Is a new automobile worth $50,000.00? If you bought it, as soon as you drove it off the lot and onto the lot of another Dealership it isn't worth what you paid for it.

I wouldn't pay a lot of money for nucs. But I don't buy nucs. I buy queens and make nucs. So it's all up to what someone is willing to pay. What's the big deal?
    Mark Berninghausen

Last year I bought packages in April and nucs in June, same price, the packages our grew the nucs by a good margin. This year I have ordered nucs for April and local nucs for the end of May. The local nucs support my neighbours and the packages give me something to watch.
    I paid about 175 cdn last year, and sounds like they are up about 10 % this year, but again the nucs and packages are going to cost about the same.

I found a local organization and gave me a nuc for free

question shade or sun for the hive

what is spread in your area?
    I ordered 2 packages for this spring for $145 ea. I later found, and ordered, 5 nucs from a different supplier for $145 ea. Go figure.............

A bit more of the background. I have a number of orders at $215(includes woodenware) and this was when I guessed that packages would be up maybe $10 from $170 last year. Got lots of interest to my add and have deactivated the ad. Goal was to trim my hive numbers back and then build back up. I plan to bank some honey frames for winter supplies, make some double NUCs , and raise some queens to over winter.

The City is getting closer to legalizing bees. If and when they do, packages will not be available even at $197, as one needs to order by about now.

I will have a carryover of honey because of an excellent year last year and will likely have an option to make some further NUCs to supply a new demand. Won't count my chickens until May and can do hive checks, however hives are all alive and appear well. They get fortified sugar blocks and top them up when temps permit. We had cleansing flight temps 10 days ago, so bees are healthy.

Life is good! Too much honey and too many bees!

Have a bee vac and am on the swarm catcher list.

Just trying to guage what a price in sellers market might be.

This is based on my research, not experience:

The marketing advantages of packages seem to be:

1. No comb, brood, or wooden ware to harbor disease or pests.
    2. Available several weeks earlier than local nucs in most areas.
    3. Less likely to sell out if you don't order early.
    4. Easiest option for non-lang equipment.

I'm starting off with nuc's this year, but in the future when I have more experience and some drawn comb, I can envision buying packages as one way to replace losses, get small cell bees, or populate a KTBH or Warre hive.

Around here nucs go for about $150, plus the time and gas to go pick them up. (The closest I've found are about an hour away.) Packages around $100, and our local clubs order them in bulk.

Also, from what I've read nucs can very greatly in quality, from an overwintered colony to essentially a package thrown in a box with some brood and stores. Both could end up being good and productive, but the former is probably more what the newbee would expect for the extra expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brewster View Post
    Around here nucs go for about $150, plus the time and gas to go pick them up. (The closest I've found are about an hour away.) Packages around $100, and our local clubs order them in bulk.
    $125, last year, 30 miles away, plastic nuc boxes. Don't know if the price will be any different this year, I have two reserved (since last Sept.).
    Zone 4a/b

I ordered 2 nucs this year from

http://mottbeefarms.com/

priced at $100 each plus $10 for a cardboard nuc box - pick up should be by mid April

I also ordered 2 three pound packages from these folks - should be ready in late March - $100 per package at pickup

http://www.horsecreekhoney.com/beepackages.html

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinCarolina View Post
    I ordered 2 nucs this year from

http://mottbeefarms.com/

priced at $100 each plus $10 for a cardboard nuc box - pick up should be by mid April

I also ordered 2 three pound packages from these folks - should be ready in late March - $100 per package at pickup

http://www.horsecreekhoney.com/beepackages.html

MottBee website lists 4 frame Nucs at $120 5 frame $135
    When did you order?

John Pluta httpGeorgiaBees.blogspot.com
    John Pluta http://GeorgiaBees.blogspot.com Common Sense KISS Beekeeping Treated Boxes Bees Full Frames Foundation

My observation Retail sales are asking $175 for 5 frame over wintered and $25 deposit on the box. Ready first week in April. 4 frame split in wax paper box $160 ready mid May Local queens will be around $25

I am in Central PA and I am selling nucs for $185 this year. this includes a reusable wooden box that can either be kept or returned for a $10 deposit. The bees are from hives that have overwintered twice in Pennsylvania. I am in an area where almost all bees come from Georgia and none come in a wooden box you can keep so I haven't had any complaints on price so far. Packages are $105 around here this year so I think I have a good price for a premium product.