Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pretty neat little hive moving lift!!! Europeans have the coolest toys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Mounting the forks on the back of the lawn mower is a good idea. If you could position the seat over the engine and re route the controls you would be able to eliminate some of the counter balance weight and it would be better viewing for the driver. You might be able to keep the steering wheel where it is. It does look good though.
    Ya, ok. He is lifting two hive pallets, not a piling for the bay bridge. But you know everything about moving hives. Arnt your hives stationary Ace? I bet you've never even manually lifted a hive into a vehicle let alone used motorized machinery to do it. By the looks of the fine fabrication of this machine I'm quite sure they know what they are doing and don't need your "engineering expertise".

Acebird, always willing to give his two cents on everything, but has no personal experience on anything.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Pretty neat little hive moving lift!!! Europeans have the coolest toys!!

wow that was harsh,
    Last edited by Ian; 10-23-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, pay no mind to a babbling fool. I can see that Johng's father has a skill that is worth developing. I offered suggestions that I know he is capable of if he sees fit. It might be a good project for other back yard beeks if they have that welding skill. I had two of these style lawn mowers I could have given to someone that wanted to try. They went to reclaim for scrap which is about 5 bucks.

I did not move any of my hives this year because the person who was going to receive them got stung by something which resulted is a long term reaction. I thought the interest was gone but just recently we had a dinner engagement and she said she still wants them. So depending on what if any survive through the winter I may be moving a hive in the spring. I don't expect to built a hive lift in the near future because I am not about commercializing my hobby. But I like to help when I can.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Removing counter weight because of the relocation of the operator's seat position would be pure folly.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

If you could position the seat over the engine and re route the controls you would be able to eliminate some of the counter balance weight and it would be better viewing for the driver.
    If you shift the seat, and remove counterweights, presumably you are relying on the driver's weight to make up for the missing counterweights. What happens when the operator gets off the machine while the load is still on the forks?

Maybe that's another AcePlan® needs a little more thought ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Ian, pay no mind to a babbling fool. I can see that Johng's father has a skill that is worth developing. I offered suggestions that I know he is capable of if he sees fit.
    LOL!!! A babbling fool!!! Now that is funny right there.............pot calling the kettle black arnt you?? And by a picture alone you can tell that JohnGs father "needs to develope his skills"...........really??? And by who...............YOU!!! Ya right!!!

Come on "better than anyone else" engineer, please tell me that your friend built that extractor where the ceiling fan motor is actually INSIDE the extractor on the BOTTOM where the honey is. Please tell me that you didnt actually do that, I might lose respect for you..................oops, thats already done.

Oh ya, your not commercializing your hobby..............yet you are going to tell others that are either commercial guys or excellent fabricators like JohngG's dad how to do things "the right way, the ACEBIRD way!!"................buddy, you really need to find another site that you can try to convince others how great you are, because its not working over here. Good bye!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    wow that was harsh,
    Come on Ian, I know Canadians are really good people with a heart of gold............but it must be a real Chinook going on up there if you cant see through Acebirds antics. Im a Canadian at heart (born/raised in Alberta and B.C) but became an American citizen a few years ago..................and although I try to see the good side of people before the bad side..............Ace is hopeless IMHO.

I may be harsh and gruff, but I also dont belittle EVERYONE that is on this site, as Acebird has done over the past year and a half. I just dont appreciate someone who is a self proclaimed know it all....................that doesnt know a hole in the ground from...................i'll leave it at that.

Dont worry Ian, Acebird will tell you how you should run your business also, if he hasnt already done it.................just give it time.
    Coyote Creek Bees

who cares? whats wrong with you guys.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, you are wasting your time.

Counterweight ... There should be ample counter weight to lift the load without the driver present. Most people could figure that out. There is also additional counter weight needed for stability for when the vehicle is moving. Re-positioning the driver position will decrease the counterweight needed for stability while the vehicle is moving. Anymore negative thoughts?

My wife thinks that some people are jealous because I was able to built an extractor out of scraps that is perfectly suited for a hobbyist. They are out the cash and still sputtering. I just think some people never grow up and act like adolescents their whole life.

Edit: I should ad that it is much safer if the driver in not directly under the load and can see what is happening to the load while driving.
    Brian Cardinal

>>If you could position the seat over the engine and re route the controls you would be able to eliminate some of the counter balance weight and it would be better viewing for the driver.

That is how I would build one. Most forklifts are set up this way, with the seat further back. I would I doubt they remove the counter weights though, you will want to make sure there is enough to hold the load down when the operator isnt present. Especially if the mast allows high lifting.
    looks like an interesting project REGARDLESS how the builder decides to modify it.
    Assuming the lifter is only going to lift a couple hundred lbs, One thing I like about a tractor mounted design is it would be able to travel through rougher terrain
    www.stepplerfarms.com

you would be able to eliminate some of the counter balance weight
    I didn't say all I said some. I would say about a 100 pounds thinking the average man is over 200.
    Brian Cardinal

lift machines counterbalance is designed without the operators weight taken into consideration.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian, you are wasting your time.

Counterweight ... There should be ample counter weight to lift the load without the driver present. Most people could figure that out. There is also additional counter weight needed for stability for when the vehicle is moving. Re-positioning the driver position will decrease the counterweight needed for stability while the vehicle is moving. Anymore negative thoughts?

My wife thinks that some people are jealous because I was able to built an extractor out of scraps that is perfectly suited for a hobbyist. They are out the cash and still sputtering. I just think some people never grow up and act like adolescents their whole life.

Edit: I should ad that it is much safer if the driver in not directly under the load and can see what is happening to the load while driving.
    Sorry, no jealousy here over your extractor, none at all, Infact, my idea didn't sputter at all, it works just fine for me, and although I didn't recycle any parts directly out of a dumpster, I still built it for just over $100, with the barrel being almost half the cost.

And thank you for your safety suggestions of not standing directly under a load, I thought only people in third world countries without safety policies and little common sense would do that.

My safety tip of the day for you Acebird, don't stand on the top step of a ladder, or let kids under five years old operate a motor vehicle. There, now I think I have done my good deed for the day and just made your life much safer! You don't have to thank me!
    Coyote Creek Bees

who cares? whats wrong with you guys.
    Do you want me to start with my psychiatrist's opinion or my parole officers?
    Coyote Creek Bees

lift machines counterbalance is designed without the operators weight taken into consideration.
    A man lift???

If the weight of the operator adds to the instability of the machine I would suspect that more counterbalance weight would be used. In the case of this home built lift, if it were stable as designed it would be more stable by moving the weight of the operator farther away from the rear wheels. There is a limit on how much weight the front wheels can take on this type of lawn tractor so removing some of that weight might be desirable. We are discussing home built re-purposed equipment. It is unlikely it will be OSHA approved but it can be made safe.
    Brian Cardinal

yes I agree the farther back the operator the better off the operator is for safety and for balancing the load. And I am assuming this lift is only designed for a few hundred lbs, but the mast looks as if it lifts at leat 6 feet high. With that there has to be significant counterbalance and the operator will help with that, but a lift machine has to be designed without the consideration of the operator. The weight of the operator isnt a fixed factor. When running machines, operators get on and off machines regardless their best intentions.

This is a pretty cool looking machine and it looks like there was alot of thought put into it. I was just thinking of how neet it would be if the mast was put on a zero turn mower! talk about maneuverability!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

ha ha ha, you guys are too much

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Do you want me to start with my psychiatrist's opinion or my parole officers?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I guess I am the only guy that thought it was pretty cool. I liked the part that held the covers down and kept them from falling off of the forks when he was moving them. As for the other 2 guys they were just there for ‘eye candy’. Beeks up here have been putting the bees in the national forest on fire weed but find that more than not they are run over by some kid in a jeep or kicked over by a hiker. Put some big wheels on that and stick them back in the brush a hundred yards.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Thanks for the comments guys! The front end does get light when I pick up two heavy hives I learned the hard way you can't just drive straight up the ramp on the trailer with the last two hives. It tipped up and the hives fell off. It works fine as long as you back up the ramp though. The mast is just shy of 7ft so I can drive it in the garage door.

Here is a couple pics of the new one we are making onto a bigger mower. So far all I have had to buy was the winch and the ram to tilt the mast in and out. Probably gonna end up having to buy tires too. http://s203.beta.photobucket.com/use...G0193.jpg.html

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    The front end does get light when I pick up two heavy hives I learned the hard way you can't just drive straight up the ramp on the trailer with the last two hives. It tipped up and the hives fell off. It works fine as long as you back up the ramp though.
    Nice job on the lift! And thanks for confirming through practical experience that it would be a serious mistake to remove any of the existing counterweights, as a certain bird was advocating.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast