Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pretty neat little hive moving lift!!! Europeans have the coolest toys!!

I need one of these!!!!

http://youtu.be/oTQutI-1fsk
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Pretty neat little hive moving lift!!! Europeans have the coolest toys!!

I think both the thing inside and the thing outside the trailer were pretty cool for moving hives!
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Default Re: Pretty neat little hive moving lift!!! Europeans have the coolest toys!!

Maybe Daddy Warbucks Olly will buy one to use for all Bay Area Beesource Beeks.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

It was all on smooth, firm level ground and would tip over in a jiffy on slope or big rut. Have rocks? Better have spare batteries along also.

Interesting. If you skip along the videos posted by the person who put up this one there is another one about extracting. Take a look at the revolving gizmo he uses to rush bees of individual frames whilst he's in the bee house. Working in a bee house looks cramped and hard on a person's back.

here is his bee removal

yikes, looked like that bee sweeper would be hard on the bees, but that could just be the fault of video.

did you see how the capping scratcher was being used? I guess they would call it a capping puller
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

There is a gentleman in North Florida that made them out of old lawn mower parts. It is not complex, expensive, or heavy like that one. It is more of a motorized hand truck. There are Tupelo beekeepers that will find and pay almost anything for one of the simple movers. Forklifts, skid steers, Hummerbees get stuck in the Tupelo swamps. They would bury that Rover just getting to the Apalachicola valley long before they got near the apiary.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

How incredibly slow and inefficient. And it still took 3 men to do it!

I'd love to see a photo of one of the Florida homemade ones!

Charlie,
    Christmas is coming up, I'll put it on the wish list that I'm sending to Papa Ollie! I promise to use it on flat land out here in the valley!

Logger mike,
    Nope, not efficient for moving a commercial operation, but still neat anyhow!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I should have asked to take a picture when I was talking with the inventor. They basically weld a hand truck around a lawn tractor rear axle and small engine. Some only had forward and reverse. Some use all the gears. it was personal preference between the gentlemen that had them. Twisting the right handle shifted the transmission on the one at the bee workshop. Some use a lever clutch. Some use a centrifical clutch, when you hit the throttle it engages. The one he was using I can lift onto a truck or trailer, yet it can move a two-way pallet.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    I would agree. Hope that it is mostly a labor of love for those folks. The bee brushing machine is kind of cool but seems that a much better process could be devised to put the bees back into the same hive, wonder what happens to all the bees that just fly in the air inside there.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Here it is America. Called an easy loader. Scroll down just a bit to see the photo. However, you have to drive this one up a ramp to load on a trailer.

http://www.meyerhoneyfarms.com/history.html

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Yea but, think of the pay scale. These are very basic earthy people.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I would agree. Hope that it is mostly a labor of love for those folks. The bee brushing machine is kind of cool but seems that a much better process could be devised to put the bees back into the same hive, wonder what happens to all the bees that just fly in the air inside there.
    Yup a beego board would save them a ton of time. And would have less bee's in the extractor and flying around. I would be stung to death in that building.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    I should have asked to take a picture when I was talking with the inventor. They basically weld a hand truck around a lawn tractor rear axle and small engine.
    Just get one of these and you are done. http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

I think if you make a hive moving machine you should limit the hydraulics to just lifting and rolling into position. Clamping or securing can be done by air cylinder or mechanical levers. Hydraulics is slow and powerful. Air is faster and more delicate. Wheel drive is cheaper but track drive may be required in some apiaries.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Here is one my dad made for me. http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/IMG_0202.jpg

That one will be for sale soon. We are making a bigger one now made onto a commercial ZTR mower. I will post some pics when we get finished with the new one.

JohnG,
    That's really cool! Send it out here to CA when your done playing with it!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Mounting the forks on the back of the lawn mower is a good idea. If you could position the seat over the engine and re route the controls you would be able to eliminate some of the counter balance weight and it would be better viewing for the driver. You might be able to keep the steering wheel where it is. It does look good though.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Did anyone notice on the extraction video that the inside of the hives appear painted???
    Last edited by snl; 10-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver