Thread: Building Hives

Hybrid View

Default Building Hives

Has anyone had any good luck with building hives

Default Re: Building Hives

Last edited by wheeler88; 10-20-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add link

I have built 4 double deep 10 frame langstroths including the frames. all from found wood. so the cost was nothing but my time. I am still looking for some exterior oops paint to keep that cost down as well. I plan to make 3 med supers for each hive in time. still looking for the wood to make those. I also managed to get 4 nuc boxes out of the free wood.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Have built some supers and Beesource link above does provide proper inside dimensions. However, I question the vertical height dimensions as it results in greater than 3/8 or bee space vertically between frames. Frames being 9 1/8 and dimension is 9 5/8 results in 1/2 space. Seems to encourage comb, honey and drone brood that is messy to clean. 9 1/2 makes more sense to me
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    However, I question the vertical height dimensions as it results in greater than 3/8 or bee space vertically between frames. Frames being 9 1/8 and dimension is 9 5/8 results in 1/2 space. Seems to encourage comb, honey and drone brood that is messy to clean. 9 1/2 makes more sense to me
    outside dimensions are 9 5/8 but you have a 5/8 rabbit for the frame rest. You need to measure your boxes again with your frames inside and see what your bee space really is.

I have built 50% of my boxes but find that time is my most precious commodity and I don't save enough $ making my own to justify the extra time. I do buy boxes that ihave to assemble and make a lot of my other equipment though. If you are interested in wood working why not give it a try, if not it probably won't save you much in the long run in my opinion.

The secret to saving money is get your wood for free. Get to know some building contractors and get into their scrap piles for short pieces of wood, Advantec, etc.

I have built all of mine for years, and now build them and sell with bees. Lots of fun to build, and I buy very little wood.

Also check out uTube for Videos on how to make them. Go to uTube and then search whatever you want to make.

If you have specific questions, I will try to answer them for you. Contact me at cchoganjr@scrtc.com

cchoganjr.

[QUOTE=Fishman43;860005] outside dimensions are 9 5/8 but you have a 5/8 rabbit for the frame rest. You need to measure your boxes again with your frames inside and see what your bee space really is.

Yes I know, there is a 5/8 rabbet for frame rest. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have stacked the supers with a couple of frames in them and measured the frame to frame vertical spacing and suggest you do the same.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Have built some supers and Beesource link above does provide proper inside dimensions. However, I question the vertical height dimensions as it results in greater than 3/8 or bee space vertically between frames. Frames being 9 1/8 and dimension is 9 5/8 results in 1/2 space. Seems to encourage comb, honey and drone brood that is messy to clean. 9 1/2 makes more sense to me
    I agree with reservations. The proper hive body depth is closer to 9 1/2 than 9 5/8. The reason for the extra depth in commercially produced equipment is the wood they use. The wood isn't completely dry...would be warped and cupped it they mill the parts from dry wood. So the manufacturers cut the boards a bit wide so when the wood shrinks, the hive body won't be undersized...which is worse than a bit oversized.