Default Boston Bee School...Beginners and Advanced Topics

We have limited space for these classes, so if you are interested, register soon at http://BeeUntoOthers.com

Bee School @ The Intercontinental Hotel
    Monday Evenings 6-9pm 510 Atlantic Ave., Boston

Beginner Beekeeping Course: January 7&14, February 4&11, March 11&18

Advanced Topics in Beekeeping: January 28, February 25, and April 1

Space Is Limited!!!! Register Now!!!!

Golden Rule Honey is pleased to announce that, as part of their trend setting beekeeping initiative, Boston's four diamond rated Intercontinental Hotel has agreed to share their facilities with beekeepers of all experience levels, and to host what is sure to be Boston's most elegant location for beekeeping classes.

We offer two sets of programs:

A beginners curriculum will provide background, instruction and resources for new and less experienced beekeepers that is within the Boston city limits. In the spring, our teacing apiary at the Fenway Victory Garden provides a venue to continue beyond this introductory course with hands on experience.

There is also a need within the community of Massachusetts and New England beekeepers to provide in depth instruction on some more advanced topics in beekeeping...most specifically, queen rearing and breeding. The more beekeepers we have raising queens in New England, the sooner we will all have a variety of well adapted, local stock readily available from local sources available for all local beekeepers. In addition, there are several approaches to beekeeping that have become fashionable to investigate. We will exlpore these in details, and help you avoid obvious (and not so obvious) pitfalls when trying something new.

Beginners Bee School

$60 For the Series of 6 classes, January 7th and 14th, February 4th and 11th , March 11th and 18th from 6pm-9pm (includes online streaming access to the 6 videotaped classes, online access to printable handout material, and access to an online forum for continuing support). Topics, listed by week, are as follows:

Honeybee Behavior and Biology
    Fundamental Concepts in Beekeeping
    Equipment Overview/Choices
    Your First Season
    When Your Bees Arrive
    Getting Ready for Winter

Advanced Topics in Beekeeping

$50 For the Series of 3 classes, January 28th, February 25th, and April 1st from 6pm-9pm (includes online streaming access to the 3 videotaped classes, online access to printable handout material, and access to an online forum for continuing support)

Queen Rearing- What you need to know in order to raise your own queens…from splits to grafts. Rearing queens is a rewarding and necessary aspect of beekeeping…all beekeepers should be raising at least some of their own queens, and there is no need for this to be labor intensive, expensive or complicated.

Bee Breeding- Raising queens is only half the battle, if you want to improve your own stock, you must gain a deep understanding of the honeybee’s haploid genetic system, the values and scope of desirable traits, and the pluses and minuses of different breeding systems (from purebred to hybrid to mutt).

Alternative Agricultural Approaches- Beekeepers with some experience are introduced to some of the alternative beekeeping practices that are being practiced and experimented with by beekeepers worldwide. Some of the not so obvious subtle nuances will be explored, as well as pros and cons of various approaches. Topics will include:
    Foundationless Comb
    Top Bar Hives
    Treatment Free Management
    Overwintering Nucs
    Small Cell
    Checkerboarding
    Soft Treatments

Default Re: Boston Bee School...Beginners and Advanced Topics

Hello, I've sent you a couple emails and a PM with no response, I'm registered for you advanced class but dont know where to find the video streaming. I'm not able to go to the actual class and the audio doesnt quite get everything across.... where can i find the video stream?? Thanks

Aaron, apologies...I did not notice the PM.

I did get your email, and sent you the link to the audio file.

We did plan to video the talks, but the layout of the two rooms we have used would have made it difficult at best, and I'm afraid not that useful. Because we are not grafting yet, the visuals involved with the queen rearing talk are not central to things...mostly about how to set things up...and more importantly, why.

We did say that we would provide video, and we have decided not to do that. I'm happy to refund your payment if you like...just let me know. I do think there is a lot of information in the talks we are giving, but it is a lot more interesting and valuable if you are there in person.

With that said, we will offer at least a couple of hands on queen rearing field days in the spring...both for our students and for other beekeepers in the areas (probably at least one in Boston, at least one in Leominster)...I can't give dates yet because there are some other things that need to be scheduled first. Saturdays are likely days for these.

I remember that you wanted to get into this last year....one way or another, whether you would like a refund for the Boston classes or not, we will get you there this spring. Please do ask for a refund if you don't think it's worth what you are getting remotely.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

No need for refund. Definitely let me know when the workshop is open. I do like the classes, I was more worried I was missing the video then looking for a refund. Thanks for replying.

Any news on the workshop? Excited to give this a try

Quote Originally Posted by aaronf30 View Post
    Any news on the workshop? Excited to give this a try
    Hi Aaron, It looks like we will be doing a workshop of some kind or another virtually every Saturday, at least for the earlier part of the season. It's a bit early yet to start queen rearing around here, as soon as things warm up enough to see when the drones are on their way.

Some will be in Leominster, some in Boston....some will be free informational workshops, and some will be classes for a fee. We've been on the road for several days, and are swamped this week...we will probably start putting together a schedule sometime next week, and I will be sure to mail you a copy when we get there

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"