Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Feeding sugar from the bag, over inner cover, as some do with fondant...

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    snip
    They simply cannot use the sugar above the inner cover when it's below 45 F inside the hive, since they will be clustered and won't be in contact with it. When the feed is sitting on the top bars, they can cluster ON it, and feed from it while still clustered. Much better.

Bees will cheerfully eat fondant, dry sugar, sugar bricks, whatever up on the top of the inner cover any time it's warm enough for them to move there, but they really need it accessible when clustered if they are that short on stores.

Peter
    Update:

I visited most of my hives today, placing a little (insurance) fondant on some nucs, and checking for losses.

One particular colony had a prepared "SugarBag" placed on it last month... And, in spite of the cold (28F) bees were active up inside the bag of sugar. I don't know if the temperature inside the hive could have been 45.

I had rinsed off my hive tool before checking on the "SugarBag" and packing up. When I was finally ready to leave ice had started to form on the wet hive tool...

So... I have bees feeding in a bag of sugar (on the inner cover) when ice will form on a wet hive tool.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Feeding sugar from the bag, over inner cover, as some do with fondant...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post

One particular colony had a prepared "SugarBag" placed on it last month... And, in spite of the cold (28F) bees were active up inside the bag of sugar. I don't know if the temperature inside the hive could have been 45.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the idea that bees won''t access the sugar when the temp inside is lower than 45 degrees.

I've had bees flying and bringing stuff in in their pollen baskets at 45, so moving a few inches to eat wouldn't be a problem.

What I don't understand is the original Mt Camp method didn't state you had to spray water on the sugar. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of guys spraying water on the paper but it actually provided too much moisture. Mold formed. I guess it is different for everyone.

Countless beekeepers have placed gran. sugar on their inner covers for years. I've used the method with hundreds of hives successfully for wintering for 50 + years. Heat from the cluster rises and keeps the area on top of it warmer than the rest of the hive. Just look at the center of the snow mass on top of a hive cover, the center melts. Placing sugar on paper on top of frames is just asking for a serious ant problem in the spring. OMTCW

I put some sugar in the blender to make icing cake sugar for bees, added little water - bees loved it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12