Default Using 5 frame rig for beekeeping - converting to deeps

I am a urban beekeeper so space is limited for me. I have been using a 5 frame medium rig in my first year. I am looking to experiment with converting to "all" deeps starting next year. My idea is to have two hives mediums (current equip on hand) and install a new package in a deep and then compare through out the year.

I ran the numbers and a 5 frame deep is just shy of a 8 frame medium in square inches for comb. By using my current rig as a baseline I calculated a significant cost savings in equipment and increase in estimated honey stores by converting to deeps.

I'd like to hear from anyone having experience with 5 frame deeps.

Thanks

Default Re: Using 5 frame rig for beekeeping - converting to deeps

A 5 frame box is usually referred to as a nuc - for good reasons.

There is simply not enough room in 5 frame box to house a healthy bee hive. Unless I'm missing something in your set up description, I think you'll find the hive will need lots more room no matter what size frame you're using.

I run a lot of 5 or 8 frame nucs in the spring when I'm raising Queens and selling nucs. If that 5 framer is not sold, it quickly out grows the 5 frame box and needs to be transferred.

converting to deep frames is a very good idea. Bees do better on larger frames. They can do okay on medium frames, but they do better on deep or larger frames.

Maybe he means stacking 5 frame deeps?
    I guess it would work but it seems like it might it might not be real staple.

Ron, that could work, but with two downsides that come immediately to mind.

First, a double stacked NUC hive could be vulnerable in the 60 mph wind associated with every thunderstorm. Secondly, because the bees will fill the space and then swarm to find more space elsewhere. You will be distracted by anti-swarming strategies instead of enjoying your bees and assisting them to make a surplus. JMO

I chose 8 frame deeps and am happy with that, it works for me.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I'm running several 3 story 5 frame nucs and many 2 story 5 frame nucs. None of the problems noted above and they bees like the smaller size. Works great in the spring for splitting.

ron, sounds like one of those things you'll have to try, see what happens, and decide if you like it or not. it's part of the fun.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Gee, I'm going from deep brood boxes to mediums.Maybe we could work a deal.

I can't go narrower than 10 frames though,I'd need a step ladder.