Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Honey Gate

Default Bad Honey Gate

Don't buy this gate, it sucks. Drips honey all over the jar, does not seal well. Wing nuts don't adjust easily. I don't remember where I go it, but I found this picture on the site of a supplier down south. I have ones from other suppliers that are much better. I will give this to the first person who picks it up. I was yelling at it all after noon. Why are the old cast ones for steel tanks no longer offered? Lead content?

Default Re: Bad Honey Gate

Doesn't Mann Lake have steel ones?

Funny that you brought this one up, ODFRANK: I finished bottling almost a month ago, but have been stewing over this darn gate ever since. I have one of these purchased from Mann-Lake back in 2009. It was part of a bucket / gate / strainer combo. It's not a terrible leaker, but it drips just enough at odd places on the gate to screw things up. I've tried different flow rates, different bucket angles, different closure rates to no avail. I have added the inconvenient step of wiping the top and bottom of the gate with a paper towel after every 2 or 3 jars.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

This is a long shot and not likely the case but occasionally overtightening can bow the gate and take sealing pressure off the center portion. Tighter on the wingnuts not necessarily more leakproof. I have several from mann lake that do not leak but not sure if they are the identical construction.

I just hand tighten mine and no issues, plastic ones from ML and I try not to crank down on them.

You might try replaceing the "O-ring" or rubbing some vaseline on your "O-ring".

For a fellow with high end uncapping and extracting equipment, I find it surprising that you bottle with a plastic gate. Maxant and every supply outfit sell dripless valves. While they cost a bit more, if you are bottling more than a few gallons they are a bargain.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    For a fellow with high end uncapping and extracting equipment, I find it surprising that you bottle with a plastic gate.
    High end?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

OD, Are you referring to the old Molasses valves that are made from cast iron and have a brass or copper insert in them with a handle to operate by just pulling it up and push it down to close them? If that is what you are looking for they are still around. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    High end?
    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    the Cowan, extractor and spinner are worth thousands of dollars, my extracting room cost thousands of dollars, and my real estate is worth 1.3 million.
    Sounded high end to me….at least high enough that a plastic honey gate for bottling was a surprise.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    High end?
    I couldn't say it better.

I have sites that produce some one and two box crops which bypass my larger tanks and get bottled from buckets.

>OD, Are you referring to the old Molasses valves that are made from cast iron and have a brass or copper insert in them with a handle to operate by just pulling it up and push it down to close them? If that is what you are looking for they are still around. Tom

I have those also which I like, but Kelly stainless tanks in the '70s used to come with guillotine type cast heavy gates, too big for buckets. I don't see those sold any more. I have several spares if I ever need them. They sometimes spit a black goober which I suspect is from wrong metals blackening the honey at the gate. You can see a white painted one on the center tank in this pic.

Why are you using galvanized pipe on honey equipment?
    Regards, Barry

OD I see what you are referring to now I used to see those around when I first started keeping bees in Santa Clara County. I remember a guy names Joe Nulth had must have been a good dozen plus or more had them set up on stands around his extracting room about the ht. of a bucket or square 60lb metal can would pour his honey into them let it set until the wax and junk would come up top then draw off the honey thru the gate. Did all his uncapping by hand used a electric knife and small extractor.

Most of the extractors made use a cast iron flange on the side of the stainless tank I have heard that the new rules require that even pumps need to be stainless. I hate to think what those will cost. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why are you using galvanized pipe on honey equipment?
    Because it has worked great since 1975. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm not concerned about it working, I'm concerned about it not being food grade, especially since there are ways to make it food grade.
    Regards, Barry

Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

How does the stainless gate attach to a bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm not concerned about it working, I'm concerned about it not being food grade, especially since there are ways to make it food grade.
    I tried plastic, it jumps around from the pumping and drowns the whole honey room in pressurized honey when it blows. Stainless pipe and fittings that I would need are prohibitively expensive. My galvanized pipes look the same inside as they did 35+ years ago brand new. The honey only stays in the pipes for a few seconds. There are millions/billions of people whose drinking water comes through and sits in galvanized pipes for weeks. Many of those pipes are so corroded the water barely passes through. I clean sprinkler nozzles and valves for a living and daily get to to see what comes though San Francisco Hetch Hetchy water, considered some of the best city water in the world. Not to mention the chlorine, fluorine, chloramine and god knows what else is in it. Ever kill your tropical fish with the same chloramined water you drink? Ever hear of galvanized pipes ever harming someone? It's like backflow preventers. The government requires them for billions of dollars a year, but how many backflow incidents have you heard of? Are the chemicals that could leach from Camcote safer than the what could leach from steel pipes?

OD I have a source for stainless pipe from a cannery it comes in various lengths sizes are mostly 1 1/2 to 2 inches dia. most have flange fittings for clamping sometimes I have extra so if you want I will try and collect more from my source and you are welcome to it. ( This is not an open invitation to any one else.) Send me a message if you want me to try to get the extra all it cost me is honey for the guys in the yard. Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast