Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dumb waiter

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  beedeetee 
#1 ·
I have 24 hives on a barn roof (bear proof feature)and want to build a dumb waiter to lower full honey supers to the ground floor honey processing room. Has anyone ever built one themselves or have any ideas other than commercial dumb waiters. I searched shingle lifts and they are expensive.

Bill

#2 ·
What is the distance the lift will have to travel?

Build a box with some kind of friction free track system. Find a commercial garage door operator with run limits and a drum system for the cable lift to wind up on and you should be fine. Don't expect it to carry much weight, maybe 2 supers at a time or one hive and you should be fine.

#4 ·
I don't have any pics of some of our jobs, but the idea is pretty simple. Build a box slightly larger than one hive, I would not try to do much more weight than one or two deep hives. Make a elevator track for all 4 corners of the box out of 2x2 angle from ground to top level. Go to a garage door company, get a flat drum, cable, bearings, and shaft that will wind enough cable on the get the desired travel top to bottom. Add a commercial garage door operator to the shaft and you are done.

In a barn, you could get away with it. In a house, you would need safeties or deter kids from riding it. It would not work on a roof, but maybe an attic or loft of a barn.

#9 ·
JRH you are tooooo practical. :)

What about a ladder lift? Seems like I have seen such a thing attatched to an extension ladder. I'm sure someone here w/ construction experience knows what I'm getting at.

and what's this talk about dumb waiters, you woukldn't call a waitress dumb, would you? :)

#16 ·
Years ago my Dad built our house. It had a daylight basement with a wood room. We burned the wood on the upper floor, so he built a dumb waiter. It was just 2x4 framed at the corners. The box had a floor and was welded angle iron. The box was an inch or so smaller than the framing. I don't remember it ever binding on the way up. It had a pulley at the top over the center of the waiter and another to the side. So the cable ran from the center of the waiter up to the top, through the pulley and over to another pulley then down to the hand crank.

We could hold a couple of days of wood in there, probably 60lb. It took a bit of cranking to get it up, but it had a release and gravity brought it back down. It was only a 6' lift I suppose because at the bottom it sat a couple of feet above the floor and at the top it was level with the upper floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.