Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Poaching swarms by traping/ beek respectiful

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Swarm trap party at BG's yard!
    You dirty dog! Just for that I'm gonna break all my hives down to two frame nucs, you can have all the tennis ball sized swarms you want from them!LOL

I wanted to make it out to Ollie's house today but had things come up, need to get out there and pick his brain like field workers in an asparagus field!

How many of your hives swarmed this year that you know of? I only had two that I know of, one small swarm and one biggun! Just an absolutely crazy year for swarms everywhere though, hoping next year will be the same! Gonna saturate Livermore and areas around Tracy, Manteca and see what happens! Can't wait for some bee fishing!
    Coyote Creek Bees

BG,

I've had several swarm, I think two or three that I'm aware of. I worked hard this spring to keep the brood nest open depriving Olly of any possible victory. Let me know when you go to Olly's, I'll meet you there. I want to make a video of our visit and post it on Beesource.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I know the original post was about trapping swarms, but I just wanted to say that Maine's law states that it is unlawful to enter onto a persons land to remove swarms without the permission of the land owner. I take that to mean that you could go into someones bee yard to catch swarms with permission . I actually pulled into one of my yards this spring to find someone in the process of catching a swarm. I was ripped. But I ended up letting him have it ,I just told him don't come back .

Not on your own property I assume? I'd be ripped too. I'd feel as though those were my bees. Had they gone off property I wouldn't feel the same. Not a nice experience I imagine.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

No they were hives on low bush blueberry pollination, sitting quite close to a back road. I was by earlier in the day and saw them but didn't have an extra box to put them in, by the time I got back.....well you know how it ends .

bees1st, What is your thought on a landowner catching swarms from rented hives pollenating his blueberries? My first thought when I heard about it was it didn't seem quite right, but when the commercial hives left they left several swarms in the bushes right in front of the hives. At that point I thought the land owner was in the right and at least some of those swarms were saved.

I have had an orchard owner catch swarms and give them to me. Other times he has kept them. Neither case bothers me.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Question. Who would legally own a swarm that took off from a contracted pollinator onto his leases land? Is it the land owners swarm because its on his land, or is it still considered the pollinators bees?

Just curious!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Thumbs Up Re: Poaching swarms by traping/ beek respectiful

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Mark- I celebrate your sons service and hope he returned intact in body and mind.
    Bill
    Me too!

Possession is nine points of the law, no real moral entanglements.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Mark- I celebrate your sons service and hope he returned intact in body and mind.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. Didn't see this until now. He has a new leg half way down his calf muscle, but other than the time spent in Walter Reed his injurys have not slowed him down. He still serves. He wants to do more, if those in charge will let him. He continues to prove himself. I am as proud as I can be. Thank you for celebrating his service. He has been a good beekeeper laborer at one time too, years ago when he was young.

Thanks Lee.

Coopermaple, Sometimes these bigger operations pick up their hives when there is flight. Those bees left behind may not be swarms ! Down East alot of pollination is done by bees which are sent up,and spread by the blueberry company. The beekeeper may or may not come to Maine at all. Some days it's not unusal to see 50 swarms while driving around.Some bees in the mid coast are spread be the beekeeper and when their down the head home only to return when the bloom is finished.They have no intention of catching swarms.
    Last edited by bees1st; 10-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12