Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poaching swarms by traping/ beek respectiful

Is there a moral code about setting bait hives near another beeks yard but has landowner permission (diffrent landowner) beek a real donkey. Is all fair got away,yours when u catch it.or is ojust messed up. Im ganna run 3 traplines through town but i dont really want anybody to think im singling there swarms out. But the two i disfavor shaft new bee havers all year there the kind that messes up buy local tell me what u think

Default Re: Poaching swarms by traping/ beek respectiful

im new to this whole bee thing, so I'm not completly up to speed on etiquette. IMO I would say that if you have permission to put a swarm trap on someone's property, you can't controll who's bees go into it.

I will gladly give your the address of all of Charlie B's and BayHighlandsBees apiary sites. There is definitely nothing immoral about setting a big trapline around these two guys sites.

My opinion...

Beekeeping INCLUDES SWARM MANAGEMENT. If you have permission to trap BEES on a particular piece of land and it's situated near an apiary, as long as you stay on the land you have permission for, what's the problem? The beekeeper tending the apiary should do his/her best to maintain their hives and makes splits if they want more stock. After all, trapping a swarm isn't like you're going into their hives, pulling frames and making splits. If anything, you're doing a public service by providing potential habitat that a swarm sees as favorable and saving that poor person down the road time and money from having to hire someone to do a removal or cutout.

You can't poach something that doesn't belong to anyone. As long as you aren't on someone's property w/out their permission you aren't taking anything which really belongs to someone else. Which doesn't mean the beekeeper where the swarm came from will see it that way.

I saw a swarm trap across the road from the entrance to one of my yards. My first thought was "You sob." Then I thought, "Good for you. Good luck. Someone aught to get the bees I lose should any of my hives swarm."

If someone objects they should set up their own traps.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

It is better for beekeeping if bees that swarm end up in another beekeepers hive instead of in the siding of an occupied house.

I wouldn't put a wall of swarm traps on another beeks property line, but if catch one of there swarms it is fair game. Otherwise Odfrank would be bee-less.

I think that you are better off putting swarm traps in good places for bees to scout versus near another apiary. If the beek is on top of his hives they may not have many swarms, but if you have your bait hives in good locations for bees you may get feral swarms or swarms from hives that you didn't know existed.

I set traps around my outyard to catch my own swarms

Go for it , as long you have the right of way to set your traps then there ain't nothing wrong . Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    It is better for beekeeping if bees that swarm end up in another beekeepers hive instead of in the siding of an occupied house.
    Good point. I've always thought there should be no big deal in placing swarm traps near another guy's yard. They're not actually a 'trap', and they don't cause bees to swarm, so what's the harm? If the bees aren't swarming, then a trap is not going to make a difference. And as you say, better in the hands of a beekeeper, than on the property of someone with an allergy - or a tendency to scream for new legislation banning beekeeping.

Adam

What if your the Beek and you see a swarm leave one of your hives and you follow it in order to catch it, and it goes into someone elses trap?

One of the most exciting parts of beekeeping is catching swarms from someone elses hives and then bragging about it!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
    What if your the Beek and you see a swarm leave one of your hives and you follow it in order to catch it, and it goes into someone elses trap?
    Possesion establishes ownership. Once your bees leave your possesion you no longer own them, so if they go into someone elses trap they belong to the person whose trap they enter.

Who owns the swarm that hangs 40 feet off the ground from the branch of a tree? Those bees belong to the Universe, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Possesion establishes ownership. Once your bees leave your possesion you no longer own them, so if they go into someone elses trap they belong to the person whose trap they enter.

Who owns the swarm that hangs 40 feet off the ground from the branch of a tree? Those bees belong to the Universe, imo.
    Not sure my neighbors would take that view if a swarm of mine decided to take up residence in their wall. I think they would come'a knock'in...

I understand what you write.

As an Apiary Inspector, whenever we found an Apiary to be abandoned by its registered beekeeper the point of view of thge Dept. was that the bees and equipment then belonged to the landowner. Who else would one see as thge owner of something on someones property?

As a beekeeper, my point of view, if a swarm takes up residence in the wall of someone's house, is that those bees are theirs. It may be assumed that they came from my hives and, as a good neighbor, I would help get them out of their wall. But, I am not legally responsible for those bees.

Bees being wild untamed animals will go wherever they will. It is my responsibility to minimize their swarming so as to not lose production and also to not have negative impact on my neighbors, whatever that might be.

"they would come a knock'in..."? Hopefully not like my Son did in Iraq.

Great points here, and I agree, swarms are fair game for everyone. Heck I would be happy if someone trapped a swarm from my hives, better it goes to someone who will use them rather than going into someone's wall only to be killed by the owner or a pest control company.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Thanks for the info guys im ganna put them at places ive caught swsrms previous years ive been meaning to do this long time but never had time. This year im ganna put out over 30 some people that hust let theres.swarm let me putem in there yards and some people found out how many swams me and my mentor/buddy collected and they wanna shoot me.lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Great points here, and I agree, swarms are fair game for everyone. Heck I would be happy if someone trapped a swarm from my hives, better it goes to someone who will use them rather than going into someone's wall only to be killed by the owner or a pest control company.
    Swarm trap party at BG's yard!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm just finishing up my swarm traps as well. I plan on putting out 16 traps out and about and leaving two in my yard just in case.

Mark- I celebrate your sons service and hope he returned intact in body and mind.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast